AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in finding out what hardware everyone is using to import dv signals/ntsc signals into their pc's for dvd-r creation ...

specifically ....

a) hard drive ide/scsi ??? - minimum size

b) min ram/processor speed ( i have 128mb/p3 500mhz)

c) video capture card??

d) dvd recorder?

e) dvd authoring for burn-in (i will be using premiere 5.5/6.0 for editing)

f) work around software for 4gb work around in win98se

additionally ... what is the rule of thumb for hard drive space requirements for:

a) direct composite stream (rca) gb/min

b) dv stream (firewire) gb/min

all help is appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might find more answers in a digital video forum, but here is what I use:

a) IBM 40G 5400 IDE drive used (almost) exclusively for video capture (I keep a couple of gigabytes of overflow files there as well, but no program or system files). Best to defragment this between projects and reformat once a month. I've never seen any dropped frames.

b) 1.1GHz Athlon, 256M RAM

c) Hauppauge WinTV PVR card - not the best quality, to be frank, but decent for the price and it works with DScaler. I only use its MPEG capture at high bitrates, but if you have the PicVideo MJPEG codec, you can use a non-MPEG card and Virtual Dub for capture.

d) Pioneer A03 is the only option right now, unless you have $2000+ to spend. I think HP is coming out with an alternative soon.

e) You need to think about what multiplexing features you want (multiple audio streams? subtitles? angles?) and then look for an application that fits your needs. Lots of software firms are jumping on the A03 bandwagon and producing entry-level authoring apps to bundle with the drive, so there's lots of new stuff out there which hasn't been tested yet.

f) The workaround is called WindowsXP and costs $99. Seriously, you want a stable OS for video work, and 98SE/Me just doesn't cut it.

g) approximately 260meg/min for video captured at D1 size (720x480 for NTSC) using the lossless HuffYUV codec (which gives around 4:1 compression).

h) About 190meg/min for DV (which is 25Mbits/sec).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by charleski

c) Hauppauge WinTV PVR card - not the best quality, to be frank, but decent for the price and it works with DScaler. I only use its MPEG capture at high bitrates, but if you have the PicVideo MJPEG codec, you can use a non-MPEG card and Virtual Dub for capture.

e) You need to think about what multiplexing features you want (multiple audio streams? subtitles? angles?) and then look for an application that fits your needs.

Thanks for the info, when you say "decent" at highest bit rate, would I notice any difference between live and a replay picture? I mean color variance, pixelation on a 40' tv, etc?

Also I'm thinking of getting the PCI card, if you have a second chance would you still buy this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.