AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I heard that you can't experience the FULL advantage of 1080p if the picture is too small or if you sit too far away from the screen. No matter what, I will be sitting approximately 13 feet (156 inches) away from the screen due to room limitations... At what screen size would you START to experience the FULL advantage of 1080p at this distance? Is there some type of formula or something that can be used to determine this? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
12,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowz O Death /forum/post/18137858

Hello everyone! I heard that you can't experience the FULL advantage of 1080p if the picture is too small or if you sit too far away from the screen. No matter what, I will be sitting approximately 13 feet (156 inches) away from the screen due to room limitations... At what screen size would you START to experience the FULL advantage of 1080p at this distance? Is there some type of formula or something that can be used to determine this? Thank you so much!

You are correct. According to this calculator , and 20/20 vision, you'd need a screen >92" diagonal. Put the screen size into line 8, and read the recommendations in cell K35.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/18137937

You are correct. According to this calculator , and 20/20 vision, you'd need a screen >92" diagonal. Put the screen size into line 8, and read the recommendations in cell K35.

So if I get a screen that is smaller than 92 inches, then I wouldn't be able to experience the FULL advantage of 1080p? Also, how did you come up with 92 inches? That calculator is kind of confusing... XD

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Shadowz O Death -- Follow the Red line, anywhere below the Red line is good. I'm sitting at 11.5' from a 106", 16:9, screen (92" wide x 52" high viewable area). That, to me, is almost perfect for my 1080p PJ. I can't go much bigger, since my room is only 13' wide and my equipment cabinet (~2' deep) is along one wall.

A better guideline is that you should be sitting at about 1.5 times the screen width. With a 1080p image, you can sit closer (up to 1.0 to 1.2 times screen width, if you like a really large picture). I sit at about 1.4 x screen width.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowz O Death /forum/post/18151529

So if I get a screen that is smaller than 92 inches, then I wouldn't be able to experience the FULL advantage of 1080p? Also, how did you come up with 92 inches? That calculator is kind of confusing... XD

I kept trying screen sizes, and once in the "zone" where row 35 (column K) reported optimal size, stepped the size smaller until it changed to say the screen was not large enough to see all the detail. It's a lot easier to use the chart cavu posted. The optimal size/distance for 1080P (for FULL advantage) is the solid red line, and it agrees pretty well with the calculator. If you don't mind operating below "full advantage," then a smaller screen will of course work fine--it will remain crystal clear--and if you drop down as far as 65" or less, then you can use a 720p display with no loss of sharpness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.