AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's the minimum recommended screen width for the GT17 lenses on a 9500LC?

I've used them before on an 80" wide screen but I can't say that the focus was perfect across the screen. I'm building a new theater and would like to keep the 80" wide screen but now's the time to change it if I need to.

Thanks.

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I think you should look for a set of HD10L's for that size screen.

Athanasios

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Athanasios!

I found a DOC on Curt's site that gave me hope though:

-------

HD-10GT17 (standard on Marquee 9000 model number 38-P13093-94)

This lens has been designed to give optimum performance with midsize screens. It provides the best performance on 9' (2743mm) to 20' (6096mm) diagonal screens.

For this lens and model of projector use:

TD = 1.49*W + 4.8 (TD, W in inches)

TD = 1.49*W + 122mm (TD, W in mm)

and minimum/maximum

W (width) 66.6 (1691mm) 240 (6096mm)

TD (throw distance) 104 (1930mm) 362.4 (9205mm)

-----------

At first it says that it provides best performance for screens from 9' to 20' diagonal. I'm pretty sure they are referring to 4:3 screens so 9' diagonal would translate to about 87" wide.

Then it says min/max width is 66.6" to 240", which I find hard to believe, so wanted to ask the forum. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong.

What about an 87" wide screen then? Would that be a safer bet for a GT17 lens?

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Yes it will be fine, its just the HD10Ls are made for small screens 87in actualy is a bit big for the HD10L's so the GT17's will be perfect.

Athanasios

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I agree with Athanasios here. The HD10L's would be best for an 80" wide screen. I have a 79" wide (screen surface) screen, and I had GT-17's on my 9500LC. And they were not the right lenses for that size screen, so I put on a set of HD-10L's, and that was a perfect lens for my setup.

With the GT-17's the center focus knob was all the way to one end. When a lens is being used and that center adjustment is to one end or the other, it's not going to be a linear focus over the whole screen. With the Hd10L's on my setup, my focus is linear and good even in the corners.

however, HD-10's have a few issues.

Welcome back?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
According to the Marquee Installation guide , Apenndix B,on a 9500 LC the GT17's minimum width is 91" , that's left/right not diagonal. For an 8500Lc it's 75inches.

Also, according to that guide HD10L max is 71" wide and the lens it recomends for your screen is a straight HD10 or HD10E.

Of course individual results may vary, this appendix is marked as " rerference only"

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
BTW Cary, one of my customers with 92" wide screen just switched from 10L to 10F, I'm sure he would be happy to sell the L's, 100 bucks should do it. Let me know if you want to get in touch with him, he's in CA.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Draganm, I would definitely take you up on that but I think I'm going to use this as an opportunity to go bigger.

The room is 22' x 18' so an 80" wide screen is a bit "smallish" for the room anyway. Plus, it's my old DIY Goo screen that I made a long time ago. It's been great and worked well, but I think I'm going to go with a manufactured screen this time.

Slightly different topic, but I bet 96" wide (110 diagonal 16:9) would probably be ok for the GT17's. Question is, will a 9500LC still get good enough brightness and punch from a 96" wide screen? I've only ever pointed it at an 80" wide screen.

Cary

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Sure it will!!! Marquee 8500 AC on a 159 inch diagonal 1.78 DaLite 1.2 gain Screen.

Nashou

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Draganm, I would definitely take you up on that but I think I'm going to use this as an opportunity to go bigger.

The room is 22' x 18'

absolutely, I had a friend from out of town who just saw my set-up, 92" wide in a 13 x 18 room and he really liked the bigger screen over is his 84".

Quote:
Plus, it's my old DIY Goo screen that I made a long time ago. It's been great and worked well, but I think I'm going to go with a manufactured screen this time.

DUDE, get rid of that thing. I just gave my goo painted to a plumber who was working in my basement. Put up a Draper Onyx M1300 and the difference was literally eye-popping. Look for a used one otherwise they're a grand $$.

I also really like the Dalite HP screens with CRT if you don't mind a roll-up. Cheap at less than $300. new

1 - 11 of 11 Posts