AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked over old posts and see many have had trouble. I have installed several round dishes with no problem but the oval seems to add a lot of complexity with the tilt. I get 91 strength on "A" but only 59 on "B" (zip code = 53711 Wisconsin).

It seems changing anyone of the three adjustments doesn't bring B any higher but only lowers A.

Any suggestions?

Note: Also I noticed someone said one can buy a signal strength meter for about $40. What kind and where? (The yelling from the house has some latency.)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The oval dish does seem to be a compromise. If the lower reading of 119 does give you problems go to two round dishes where you can optimally aim each dish. Hell, go to larger round dishes.

Smarthome.com has signal meters for $40. I usually cart a small tv and a receiver of the required kind out to the dishes but that's a bit of a pain. The meter seems a good idea.

Do you have problems with rain fade or other sorts of signal instability? Otherwise the numbers mean about as much as my wife, age seven at the time, carefully memorizing the eye chart at school in order to pass the test. Art

·
Registered
594 Posts
You guys are lucky I can only get a 35 with DirecTV with my Dish 500 dish. It works fine though. It will go away with fairly heavy rain.

Kevin C :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I get 98 on 110 & 56 on 119, 3 drops of rain and there goes the Digitals :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had similar levels since installing the oval dish a month ago - the 119 signal has never been above 70 but I've never lost the signal or had picture problems on HDNet (don't have HBO).

The solution to adjusting the antenna? Get a couple of those slick little FRS radios. It'll remind you of the walkie-talkies you played with way back when, only much better. $40-50 should get you a set.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the helpful input. I was just used to high numbers on regular. I forgot to mention, the numbers vary considerably on even/odd transponder. My odd xponder on 119 was only 48, whil even was 59. Picture is okay. I guess I'll lose it on a heavy snowstorm.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
SS doesnt affect PQ, it only affects resistance to rain fade.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.