AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,


I am wondering what will be a right size of TV for my living room for 1080p to be worth the investment. The viewing distance is 10". I was planning to buy somewhere around 50" to 60" size. Will 1080p make any difference at 50" for this viewing distance? Is 60" a little too big for this distance?


Share your wisdom..
. I am totally new at the FP stuff.


I am sold on buying a set only with 1080p because I want to play computer games at 1920x1080. It's just a question of which size would be right for such distance and won't be overpowering the room.


thanks,

Osho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
Kind of a personal decision on "overpower". Bigger is generally better (some would say always) but @ 10' I'd go atleast 50".


Find the dimensions of an average 60" unit & make a mock up (cardboard) to see if it over powers the room. Mark the 50" size on the mock up - see where the size vs room space balances out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osho_gg /forum/post/0


I am wondering what will be a right size of TV for my living room for 1080p to be worth the investment. The viewing distance is 10". I was planning to buy somewhere around 50" to 60" size. Will 1080p make any difference at 50" for this viewing distance? Is 60" a little too big for this distance?

Osho

First of all, I hope you mean 10', not 10". 10" is a tad bit too close unless you're looking at a 19" screen or something.


Most people will not see any improvment at 10' with a 50" display (going from 768p to 1080p).


Some sharp eyed people may see an improvment at 10' with a 60" display.


So to answer your first question, no I don't believe that 1080p is going to make a difference at 10' viewing distance.


To answer your second question, 60" is not to big for that distance, paticularly for a 1080p display. I know people who sit 7' from a 60".


I would suggest that if you want a more immersive gaming experience and can afford it, get the 1080p 60" set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0


First of all, I hope you mean 10', not 10". 10" is a tad bit too close unless you're looking at a 19" screen or something.


Most people will not see any improvment at 10' with a 50" display (going from 768p to 1080p).


Some sharp eyed people may see an improvment at 10' with a 60" display.


So to answer your first question, no I don't believe that 1080p is going to make a difference at 10' viewing distance.


To answer your second question, 60" is not to big for that distance, paticularly for a 1080p display. I know people who sit 7' from a 60".


I would suggest that if you want a more immersive gaming experience and can afford it, get the 1080p 60" set.

why2not hit it on the head. For a 50" display, I cannot tell the difference beyond 8'. I suspect that for a 60" display I could not tell the difference beyond 10'.


For 1080p at 10', I would prefer 70"-80". If I had a 60" 1080p display, I think I would sit about 6-7' and enjoy.


Cheers,



Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
However, if price is not an issue why not go 1080P? He is wanting to play computer games with full resolution. Definitely go 1080P! And definitely go 60". Or in the case of Panasonic, 58".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Check out my HDTV viewing distance chart. You can see the optimum viewing distance for 1080p and 720p. As you move away from the 1080p optimum distance, the improvement will be less apparent until you reach past the 720p distance, at which point the picture quality difference will not be noticeable.


The link is at

http://hdguru.com/?p=6


The HD Guru
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Merson /forum/post/0


Check out my HDTV viewing distance chart. You can see the optimum viewing distance for 1080p and 720p. As you move away from the 1080p optimum distance, the improvement will be less apparent until you reach past the 720p distance, at which point the picture quality difference will not be noticeable.


The link is at

http://hdguru.com/?p=6


The HD Guru

I actually prefer the visual aspect of this graph
http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-conten...tion_chart.png

based upon 20/20 vison ability to resolve detail.


To me optimim seating can mean so many things including immersion. But to each their own.


Also, I wonder why no one has come up with a chart with 768p in it? Since that's pretty much a plasma standard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0


I actually prefer the visual aspect of this graph
http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-conten...tion_chart.png

based upon 20/20 vison ability to resolve detail.


To me optimim seating can mean so many things including immersion. But to each their own.


Also, I wonder why no one has come up with a chart with 768p in it? Since that's pretty much a plasma standard.

what's with the 1440p, is that the next generatin of resolution, just when you thought 1080p was IT. I posted and earlier thread that Westinghouse has an LCD that does 3840x2160, double the resolution of todays 1080p sets, the Westi is still in the research development stage though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/0


what's with the 1440p, is that the next generatin of resolution, just when you thought 1080p was IT. I posted and earlier thread that Westinghouse has an LCD that does 3840x2160, double the resolution of todays 1080p sets, the Westi is still in the research development stage though.

That's impressive but what will you have available to play on it that will take advantage of this resolution?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top