Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had my RCA DTC-100 for about 6 months and enjoy the HBO-HD (channel 509) very much. But other than that and the test channel I don't watch very much. I'm currently paying about $80.00 a month and need to drop this as much as possible. Do I have to subscribe to the basic and then add the hbo package or can I just subscribe to HBO alone? I thought I would get better answers here than from Directv. There web ist is not very good either. Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
No, just call and ask for just HBO about 15.00 -19.00 a month. You will still get the payper view and 199. Ask to talk to a supervisor if the CSR give you any stuff.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually, the basic HBO package is only $12/mo. This is all you need to receive the DTV HD programming.

------------------

Bill

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harada:
Actually, the basic HBO package is only $12/mo. This is all you need to receive the DTV HD programming.

Is that $12 total? or is that $12 on top of some other package?

Also, do you have to pay for anything to get the Demo loop?

------------------

Tryg Hoff

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's $12/month total. You get HBO,including HBOHD,Channel 199(demo),

Sundance and a few other channels.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was told that DirecTV offer's LIFE-LINE service like cable and telephone companies do.

Personally I've been trying to find out the specifics of this for a friend but haven't found anything.

There is nothing in the DirecTV subscription pages. I've also gotten NO responses from them regarding this.

Does anyone know anything specific about DirecTV "life-line" service such as price, channels, requirements, etc.

Regards,

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Jeremy,

From their website, their basic tier (Select Choice) is $21.99 a month and includes 46 channels.

If they have something lower priced than that, I'm not sure.

Troy

·
Registered
174 Posts
You should be able to subscribe to JUST the HBO package for $12/mo. When I started out I was told by another forum member that you needed to subscribe to a minimum channels package for $5.99/mo before you could add any ala carte packages, but I later found out that it isn't the case. So I cancelled my minimum channels package and kept just the HBO.

------------------

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Harada (edited 12-07-2000).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I finally decided to call and change my subscription I was told I could get HBO for $12.00 per month but I would also have to pay $7.99 per month additional for an access fee which would provide me with ppv ordering ability. I told the csr I didn't order any ppv's but I was told I would still have to pay the $7.99 charge per month. I then told them I had heard of others that was paying only $12.00 per month but that got me no where. I then asked for a supervisor but I had to hang up before I talked to them.

Later the same day I called back and talked to a different csr and was told that if I changed my service at all (increase or decrease) there is a $5.00 charge, however there was no mention at all of an access fee per month of $7.99. Before I hung up I asked what my total monthly fee would be and was told $12. plus tax.

I'm waiting to get my next bill to see if it's true.

My real complaint is there seems to be no absolutes on this issue, more the discretion of the csr.

Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm interested in HBO only with DTC100 - what dish do I need ? (I still need the upgrade software for the DTC100.) Any switch required ?

Jerry - keep us posted on minimum cost

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is anybody getting just HBO thru DirecTV ? If so, how much is total bill ? What dish do I need to get HBO and HBO-HD, and get the new software for my DTC-100 ?

Can I use and old Dishnet dish to get the software upgrade ? If so, which satellite do I aim/select ?

thnx

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have access to a free "round" DirecTV dish. From what I have read here, it sounds like that should be enough to get my DTC-100 firmware upgrade.

I know the elliptical dish is required to get the second satellite & full service with HD. But, if I only wanted to be able to access HBO HD, could I use the round dish & just use the second satellite?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Melk,

Thanks for the pointer about "Sundance". I also have the $12/month HBO programming, and you just mentioned that it receives "Sundance and a few other channels." Can you tell me which other channels? (I just tried Sundance and yes indeed it is there!)

Everyone,

I learned about being able to get HBO for $12/month with HBO-HD. I would not have subscribed to DirecTV otherwise. Thanks very much!

DirecTV does not advertise this at all in any way. I think that they are missing an opportunity to draw in subs.

If you want this, be sure to note that the CSR's don't generally know about it and will try to stear you into something you don't really need. I had to go to a supervisor to get someone who knew about it, but she was very helpful.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I recently had my DirectTV HD satellite system installed with the desire of only wanting to watch HBO-HD and Directv PPV HD. I called a few days before activating an account and at the time the STB was initialized. The same story from two CSRs: $12.00/mo for HBO (includes HBO-HD)AND $7.99 to get access to PPV channels. The $7.99 is Directv Limited and includes Sundance, all PPV channels (including HD199) and various other "low-end" channels. If I was "taken" let me know...

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Code:
Code:
HBO             @ $12.00/mo*, [B]nothing else required[/B] (HBO/HBO HD is all you will get).
DTV Limited  @ $7.99/mo*,  will allow PPV, QVC, etc.
Music Choice @ $2.99/mo*,  33 Channels of Music
PBS              @ $1.15/mo*,  PBS (Public Broadcasting System)
*Plus your local tax

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Melk/RLSmith:

I also have the HBO only package and pay just $12/month + tax (just signed up 3 weeks ago, and would not have purchased the dish or DTV w/o this great deal). I mainly watch just the HBO HD channel (509) and the 199 demo loop to impress friends.

You mentioned the Sundance channel (549) coming in with this HBO only package....mine is coming in too!

Also, what "other" channels are you getting and what numbers are they?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

[This message has been edited by jdiehl (edited 04-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jdiehl (edited 04-19-2001).]

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the HBO package. When I first got my DTC-100 and asked for HBO only, I was told I had to also have DTV limited for 7.99 (total of 19.99). Recently, after reading about others getting HBO only for 12.00, I called back and got them to drop the 7.99 and credit my account for the months I had paid it. My last bill shows just 12.00 for HBO and a credit balance. I still get the HD demo on 199.

On another subject, I was losing the HD (119) satellite signal from time to time and decided to adjust my oval dish. What a pain trying to get azimuth, elevation, and tilt adjusted to maximize two different satellite signals! It then occurred to me that I still had two round dishes from previous installations. I took down the oval dish, and reinstalled the two round dishes, pointing one at 101 and one at 119. Both signals are stronger than they were with the oval dish, and I haven't experienced any signal loss since.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
... I'm currently paying about $80.00 a month and need to drop this as much as possible. ...

Originally posted by rlsmith:
... I learned about being able to get HBO for $12/month with HBO-HD. I would not have subscribed to DirecTV otherwise. ... I think that they are missing an opportunity to draw in subs. ...
For every customer that was charmed into paying as much as $80 for more channels than they really wanted and later changed to the $12 option, DirecTV would need to add 6 new customers that signed up only because they became aware of the lower-priced option.

Currently I have cable feeding my 3 analog TV's with all the standard channels (including local networks) for a reasonable fee. To add HD programming via satellite, I thought I would have to keep cable and also pay for Total Choice HBO for the HDTV. An alternative but still costly solution seemed to be to drop cable, get Total Choice HBO for the HDTV, and buy an extra receiver and pay $5/mo in order to add the service to each of the 3 analog sets.

Now that I know about the a-la-carte option for HBO-HD, I think I'll chip in $12/mo and get me a dish!

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down !

RickZ

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess what I want to know is, is the picture of regular DirecTV channel reception (NTSC cable stations like A&E, Discovery, etc.)

that much better than my current cable reception of those channels

that I would be getting something for the extra money? No one has talked about this aspect of the issue of whether to pay just for HBO or to pay for a multi-channel DirecTV package. My cable service for the networks is by no means firstrate, but it is a whole lot better than OTA reception would be -- is the DirecTV NTSC picture substantially better than the cable, or is it just the HBO-HD service that makes DirecTV worth getting?

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you put up 2 round dishes pointing to 101 and 119, then as you state, you will get a stronger signal. But can you get 111 (or what ever the middle satellite is)? This is why thy made the ellipse, so you can pick up 3 satellites with 2 heads ----- no?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.