AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may not know, HDTV was supposed to be available over 1 year ago in Minnepolis thanks to the Fed's large city rule. Unfortunately, after several extensions we still only have one major network (ABC) that is broadcasting from a temporary (very small) tower.

Once again, the local CBS & NBC stations pushed for, and got, an extension until October 2001 for HDTV transmission because the tower for their HDTV signals needs to be modified.

Does anyone have a current status on the Minneapolis HDTV tower and when all of the major networks will be broadcasting HDTV from it? It is EXTEREMELY FRUSTRATING to know that CBS has most of their primetime lineup in HDTV, as well as major sporting events (Superbowl, NCAA Final Four (ironically broadcast from Mpls), etc....) and we can't watch it yet. I apologize for the tone, but everyone in Minneapolis is beyond frustrated at the lack of OTA HDTV.

As a side note, any suggestions on how to stop the Feds from granting endless extensions for our lousy local broadcast affiliates?

Thanks!

Stach

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stach--

Agreed. The AVS forum master and our fellow HDTV nuts must get pretty weary of this. About every two weeks we all freak out and start sending e-mails agreeing with each other that the situation stinks.

Check the TPT discussion board. A couple of analog channels went off the air this week. There appears to be something going on at Telefarm (or as I prefer to call it, the Shoreview HDTV Memorial Tower).

--Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just moved to the Twin Cities and I have a few questions on HDTV here. I can not find anyone around this town that has ever seen it... except for the demo loop at Audio King.

Are there any HDTV stations in town? If so what are the channels and what are they broadcasting at (1080i..)?

I lived in Rochester for about a week and a half and they had NBC 36.

I will be moving all my stuff this weekend and would like to hear about locals.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jonny--

Check out channel 50-1 KSTP-D. This month, there's only NYPD BLUE in high definition (It's an ABC affiliate, so it's 720p.). They are broadcasting from a low power antenna right between St. Paul and Minneapolis, so you'll have to point your antenna in that direction (It's on University Avenue not far from the river.)

Work is progressing at the Shoreview towers. We MAY start to see CBS-HD test broadcasts as early as July. Keep your fingers crossed.

--Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.