AVS Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4620 Posts

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Beats me.

Actually, that STA expired in October, and the aux was licensed right after it expired. I'm going to change that listing.

Does anyone actually know if KSTC is on its aux or its license?

- Trip

Reactions: JoeHanson

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So why is KSTC using DTV-STA instead of their DTX-LIC?
Some pages back (post 4454), I hypothesized about this.

KSTC's RF-45 antenna was top-mounted on the western Telefarm tower in Shoreview. When they moved to RF-30, they brought in a helicopter and replaced it with an RF-30 antenna, broadcasting 1MW omnidirectional - even better coverage than RF-45! A few months later, they took took it down and have been broadcasting on their STA antenna ever since.

I'm thinking they're eventually going to replace the top-mounted antenna with an RF30/31 unit for KSTC and KARE 11. In any case, want to say it's been close to a year since they moved to the STA antenna. The footprint is about the same off to the south, but it has a hard time reaching places like St. Cloud, Hinckley and Rice Lake. While 45 is duplicated on KSTP 5.5, I've got customers who are none too happy about not being able to get MeTV 5.3.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Has anyone attempted atsc 3.0 in the Minneapolis area?
I might suggest reading back a few pages in the thread before asking as question that's been answered repeatedly. TL;DR: No. And there are no press releases or FCC filings to indicate otherwise. Minnesota Broadcasting – Upper Midwest Broadcasting and the editor, a member here, will sure be posting about it the minute any news drops. See post 4417 for a little more info on ATSC 3 and the transition.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ATSC 3 can also broadcast encrypted pay content. There's a startup in Idaho broadcasting some pay networks over ATSC 3, but again, we'll see how long that lasts. It's going to be probably just as successful, in the long run, as pay ATSC 1 or scrambled UHF TV channels (of which the TC used to have one - can anyone name it without looking at Wikipedia?)
I can't recall the name back then but isn't it the now CW23 that used to be the pay TV over the air channel that flopped hard?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Out in Granite Falls there was a pay TV option called MVTV...they use to have just locals then tried a pay tv option then went back to free...and now they have been silent for a year (they provide internet)

Their lineup at the time

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Your assessment of MVTV would be correct. I might at that there was a decent overlap in coverage between their system and some others out there (Redwood Falls, Olivia - on the fringes of St. James and Willmar).

Almost every UHF station in the Twin Cities had an initially tumultuous business history.

USDTV was another attempt at subscription OTA. It lasted from 2003-2007, before filing for bankruptcy. According to Wikipedia, they served 4 markets at the time of their collapse. Same type of deal as MVTV - they used encrypted MPEG 4 as a means of delivery.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Someone cut the signal chain for KJNK, RF 25. I hope it returns before the next episode of EXATLON ESTADOS UNIDOS.

And just like that, it's back.
I wonder if I'm the only one that calls this stations K-JUNK ;)
Not because they don't have good programming but their signal can be.........well JUNK!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It's a bummer some key channels in that line up aren't in HD because at the right price that would have been a pretty good pay service.
according to a brochure I have from 2014 it was 22.95 for "basic" and 52.95 for "expanded"
It doesnt say how much a receiver is (maybe get one free) but a DVR unit was 114.95 + $5 a month for DVR service

·
Registered
20 Posts
I signed up for Locast in hopes of being able to get better reception of K-Junk. I live just on the edge of their service contour, so reception of these LPTV stations is tricky at best. However, on Locast, COZI breaks up and glitches several times per minute. I am trying to point the blame in the right direction. Does anyone with good OTA signal get COZI without break ups? Is this HC2 Holdings crappy service, or is Locast's reception equipment just as marginal as mine?

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
If you read back through the thread, you'll find this subject has been beat to death.

TL;DR: HC2 channels have chronic issues with audio and video freezes. It's not an OTA reception problem. It's not a Locast program. It's a problem with their equipment.
+1 and no one at the stations seems to care :( well at least enough to do anything about it. I just can't imagine advertisers wasting money on their garbage signal as I and I assume many others(their target audience) don't even bother with watching them anymore due to such a crappy signal. It's been this way for years and I've lost all hope it will ever get fixed.

4561 - 4580 of 4620 Posts