AVS Forum banner

4581 - 4600 of 4620 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can anyone please verify that KJNK-LD Ch. 25.3 (Cozi TV) is dead air. and that Ch. 25.6 (GetTV) is pixilating like crazy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can anyone please verify that KJNK-LD Ch. 25.3 (Cozi TV) is dead air. and that Ch. 25.6 (GetTV) is pixilating like crazy.

Thank you.
GetTV has been messed up for a long time. I noticed COZI TV was screwed up on Saturday. But as HC2 Broadcasting states on their website:

About Us —
HC2 Broadcasting is committed to bringing OTA technologies to the masses. Our network of stations is unmatched and committed to the latest technologies.

Our Values —
FREE OTA services
Advancement of OTA technologies
State of the art station network
Quality and engaging programming

·
Registered
69 Posts
I see Cozi TV now has a separate link on their website to report technical issues with their affiliates, (versus program issues or requests). I filled it in and sent it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is from post #3,329 I made here on Jul 2, 2018 -- nearly 3 years ago:

Very odd that DTV America had a "report outage" option on its website -- which I used to report the first KMBD-LD outage last week -- but that option has since disappeared!

I see Cozi TV now has a separate link on their website to report technical issues with their affiliates, (versus program issues or requests). I filled it in and sent it.
COZI must have brought it back for a reason.
Gotta wonder if they removed it after receiving too many well-deserved complaints about poorly managed facilities "offering" COZI programming.
(Note, as have others, that the same is abundantly clear for the Get-TV signal in the Twin Cities shown on 25.6: erratic reception at best.)

-----

For you who are better-versed in FCC rules & regs, this question:
Is there no longer a requirement to have licensed personnel monitoring transmitter levels and regularly recording the readings?

Just as true for TV as radio and hard to believe it doesn't even matter now.
Yet HC2 Holdings-occupied frequencies obviously have no such employee.

A very long time ago but obtaining a 1st Class Radio-Telephone license was the strongest draw (that is, tutoring to obtain one) at broadcasting schools.

Even the smallest radio stations wouldn't hire announcers/DJs who didn't have a 'First Phone' given the hourly requirement for certified personnel to note and LOG transmitter readings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is from post #3,329 I made here on Jul 2, 2018 -- nearly 3 years ago:

Very odd that DTV America had a "report outage" option on its website -- which I used to report the first KMBD-LD outage last week -- but that option has since disappeared!

COZI must have brought it back for a reason.
Gotta wonder if they removed it after receiving too many well-deserved complaints about poorly managed facilities "offering" COZI programming.
(Note, as have others, that the same is abundantly clear for the Get-TV signal in the Twin Cities shown on 25.6: erratic reception at best.)

-----

For you who are better-versed in FCC rules & regs, this question:
Is there no longer a requirement to have licensed personnel monitoring transmitter levels and regularly recording the readings?

Just as true for TV as radio and hard to believe it doesn't even matter now.
Yet HC2 Holdings-occupied frequencies obviously have no such employee.

A very long time ago but obtaining a 1st Class Radio-Telephone license was the strongest draw (that is, tutoring to obtain one) at broadcasting schools.

Even the smallest radio stations wouldn't hire announcers/DJs who didn't have a 'First Phone' given the hourly requirement for certified personnel to note and LOG transmitter readings.
Essentially, no, not at the lower power facilities. There is an Edge Spectrum station here in Seattle that is running a fraction of their licensed 250 watts (VHF) due to almost total transmitter failure. Nobody from Edge has been to the facility in years. I inquired a while back with them and got a standard "we'll go have a look at it" but they continue to ignore it.
The FCC is a joke these days.

Val

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
New ABC News Live over the air channel is coming on Monday. 5.8.
It looks like it's just going to be a temporary thing for gavel to gavel coverage of the trial. KSTP's just going to simulcast ABC's breaking news reports on their main channel. KARE's going to pre-empt programming on their main channel and delay Jeopardy to 1:05am and Days of Our Lives to 2am. WCCO will be carrying key moments live, and pointing people to CBSN Minnesota on their website, app and PlutoTV for gavel to gavel coverage.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
New ABC News Live over the air channel is coming on Monday. 5.8.
5.8 is currently running 5.3(MeTV) programming. I wonder when they do this, is it actually using bandwidth or is it just a pointer thing? pointing to 5.3 so not really using bandwidth. I realize once it starts broadcasting something different than 5.3 it will take up bandwidth but for now, I'm guessing?? it wouldn't have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
5.8 can't be a pointer. MeTV 5.3 is on physical channel 30 and 5.8 TESTING (as it's labeled) is on physical channel 35. They both appear to be about the same bandwidth, varying from 2.5-3.5 Mbps.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
5.8 can't be a pointer. MeTV 5.3 is on physical channel 30 and 5.8 TESTING (as it's labeled) is on physical channel 35. They both appear to be about the same bandwidth, varying from 2.5-3.5 Mbps.
Good point, boy it can sure get complicated when one channel number(such as the 5's, 9's and 2's in our market) actually occupies more than one physical channel.....come to think of it we seem to have quite a few like that in our market, something I believe isn't all that common in other markets??

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Just was watching the news on KSTP and they mention 5.8 for gavel to gavel coverage

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
So since I can’t see KSTP once the trial is done for the day did they switch back to MeTV?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Both KTCA and KTCI will be having some maintenance and upgrading their transmitters. Possible outages between April 1 and may 15

TPT’s transmission system will be undergoing maintenance and upgrading from April 1 to May 15. In order to accommodate the installation of our new transmitter system and to provide a safe working environment for our engineers, our broadcast signal may be interrupted or reduced in power causing channel outages for brief periods.

They are going to donate the parts to Iowa PBS for spares

We are happy to say that Iowa PBS will receive our old units in order to maintain an inventory of spare parts for their aging transmitters.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Both KTCA and KTCI will be having some maintenance and upgrading their transmitters. Possible outages between April 1 and may 15

TPT’s transmission system will be undergoing maintenance and upgrading from April 1 to May 15. In order to accommodate the installation of our new transmitter system and to provide a safe working environment for our engineers, our broadcast signal may be interrupted or reduced in power causing channel outages for brief periods.

They are going to donate the parts to Iowa PBS for spares

We are happy to say that Iowa PBS will receive our old units in order to maintain an inventory of spare parts for their aging transmitters.
Is this ATSC 3.0? Maybe?

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
KMBD-LD, 43.1 (RF 20) has dropped Bounce TV and is now carrying QVC.
K33LN-LD, 33.1 (RF 33) has dropped Bounce TV and is now carrying QVC. 33.2 is now carrying HSN.

UPDATE - Laff TV no more?
KWJM-LD 15.2 and 15.3 are now simulcasting the same programming.

UPDATE to the UPDATE
Laff and Grit have returned to 15.2 and 15.3

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went ahead and bought a new tv antenna and no i did not get one of those indoor one. I did get a ClearStream 2MAX® UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with 20" Mast.

A guy The Attenna man who has many videos on Youtube recommend me to this one. So i no longer having those flap or what ever antenna. It still gonna be use inside.
Great antenna. I just picked one up too. Worked great inside even better in the my townhome attic.

4581 - 4600 of 4620 Posts