AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday's Minnesota Gophers @ Michigan State Spartans game (10/16/04) was shown by ESPN to everyone except Minnesotans — we were blacked out! WTF? The game was in East Lansing!

The DirecTV guide said we could see it on ESPN and ESPH, so I recorded it on ESPH. Just as halftime started, I discovered it was being shown only on local KSTC-DT, 45-1 (with constant freezes, pixelizations and audio dropouts) and analog 45 (so fuzzy you could hardly read the players' numbers).

Good thing I missed the first half, in retrospect, 'cuz it was such a crappy game from Minnesotans' point of view!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Actually that's not correct. The game was not on ESPN in Chicago either. The game was on WCIU here. This often happens with Big 10 games all over Big 10 country as the local stations have the right to show games under the ESPN+ channel. If you are a Minnesota fan I would think you would be glad you missed it.;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
We were balcked out in Detroit on Espn too. It was not in HD so who cares. Plus, once again the overatted Gophers got thumped by the state of Michigan. Looks like the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl for the Gohphers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How exactly were we screwed? Every newspaper, tv ad, sports talk show. etc said the game was going to be on channel 45. So because you didn't do a little checking to see where a game is on, its ESPN's fault??? That's real solid logic. Also, learn something about blackout rules before you post somethings like this.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You're a Minnesota Gopher fan??? Didn't know they had any.

You don't need to watch any games- THEY ALWAYS LOOSE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Syzygy
Last Saturday's Minnesota Gophers @ Michigan State Spartans game (10/16/04) was shown by ESPN to everyone except Minnesotans — we were blacked out! WTF? The game was in East Lansing!

The DirecTV guide said we could see it on ESPN and ESPH, so I recorded it on ESPH. Just as halftime started, I discovered it was being shown only on local KSTC-DT, 45-1 (with constant freezes, pixelizations and audio dropouts) and analog 45 (so fuzzy you could hardly read the players' numbers).

Good thing I missed the first half, in retrospect, 'cuz it was such a crappy game from Minnesotans' point of view!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
max99 said:

... So because you didn't do a little checking to see where a game is on, its ESPN's fault??? That's real solid logic. Also, learn something about blackout rules before you post somethings like this.
This troll-like tirade practically begs for a response.

DirecTV's guide should have indicated what you claim everyone else knew. It didn't. According to you, I'm ignorant for depending on D*. Very helpful.

I posted in order to learn something about blackout rules and got some helpful replies — from others.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Syzygy
DirecTV's guide should have indicated what you claim everyone else knew. It didn't. According to you, I'm ignorant for depending on D*. Very helpful.

I posted in order to learn something about blackout rules and got some helpful replies — from others.
DirecTV's guide is *not* regional. It is national. And ESPN's national feed had the Gophers game.

I've seen some guide info say "subject to blackout." I didn't check ESPN's guide info on Saturday because I already knew the game would be on ESPN+ and not on ESPN's national feed.

Nobody has all the blackout rules figured out. That's why you should go here before counting on any game being available:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ts/9946096.htm

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I got my BS from the Univ. of Minn. and my MS from the Univ. of Southern Calif. For a brief while I thought my two favorite teams might play each other. Oh well. I am glad USC is doing well.

Here in L.A. the L.A. Times page 2 of the sports section lists every sports game available in L.A. and what channel it is available on. I check this page every time I want to watch a game and it is always correct whether it is ABC, ESPN, etc.

Rick R

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can someone explain to me why the game was blacked out in Madison, WI? Game wasn't on any other station that I could find. In fact, I don't recall ever having any game on ESPN blacked out before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sail

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I recall correctly, I was watching minnesota get trounced on ESPN on charter - (madison). Not gloating or anything, but just offering the suggestion that directtv may have screwed up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.