AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question here, I have the ellipitical dish, with the multiswitch inside the LNB cover, so all I have to do is "plug & play " with my C kit lnb. My question is, turn STB off, or leave it on? If this is just "plug & play" I would think you would not really have to unplug the stb, maybe turn off, but not unplug? Yes, NO?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think even in the "off" position, the receiver is still receiving and processing signals from the satellite. I believe the "off" switch just cuts off the video output. So better to be safe than sorry - I'd unplug.

Duke

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Not being an electronics expert, I don't know the reason for unplugging the receiver but as I recall the instructions that come with the c kit say to unplug the power source. I did when I installed mine. You have to reboot the receiver anyways to change the LNB menu to 3 from 2.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benji, I understand what your are saying. But , I don't agree with your comment about having to reboot the receiver, when you change the lnb. All you should have to do is going into the proper menu, install, and change the lbd config to 3 instead of 2. I wouldn't think you would have to reboot? I can go in now and change it, with or without the c kit. I am trying to avoid any reboots, and any downloading problems. Maybe the definition of a reboot is where you and I differ. I consider a reboot when you have to reload your apg, not just changing any install configurations.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
PTS: Maybe it depends on what receiver you are using. In my Hughes E-86, if you change the LNB format from 2 to 3, the receiver automatically downloads a new APG. In the DTC-100 I don't believe it has to. It must just be receivers with the Advanced Program Guide.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Benji, that might explain it better, I have the Toshiba 3000. Does anyone know if you change the dish config from 2 to 3, w/o having to reload the APG?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just received my Sat C Channel Master Kit today from DirecTV. Step 1 of the instruction pamphlet reads: "Disconnect the satellite receiver from the 120Vac wall plug outlet".

Duke

·
Registered
189 Posts
I received my Sat C kit today from DTV and, as Duke said, the instructions say to unplug the receiver before installing. After installing the kit (which was EXTRA easy, even for me---Mr. Hardware Challenged), I just turned the STB back on, it created a new list, and 543 was there. Couldn't have been easier. And BTW, I thought 543 looked truly XLNT tonight. Some people have written that Showtime wasn't looking as good as HBO-HD, but tonights movies were just great.

Dennis

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received lnb yesterday, and I presume I wont have to use any of the wiring, just plug it in, as my multiswitch is in the lnb arm. I have not gotten on a ladder yet, but was wondering, is there just a female F connector that the lnb plugs into, or is there an actualy rg6 coaxial line laying up in there, that you thread onto the male F connector on the lnb?, Just wondering,

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would definately unplug my receiver, I think the receiver sends power to the LNB via the coax, so with the receiver plugged in the coax is "live" and if you ground something with the LNB while installing it you may fry the receiver. I may be wrong but I think this happened to me a couple of years back.

Harleyman

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't have DirecTV yet but I'm thinking of getting it. With sat c (what ever that is) installed, should there be a total of 2 or 3 LNB's? If I get DirecTV I'd like to get as much capacity as I can but the retailer I am dealing with doesn't even know what sat C is...

-Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PTS
I presume I wont have to use any of the wiring,

just plug it in, as my multiswitch is in the lnb arm.
How can you tell if your dish has the multiswitch in the lnb arm? My dish is up so high I'd like to know before without going up there if possible.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter, on alot of the elliptical dishes, the multiswitch in NOT on the back of the dish, but rather inside the LNB housing. My only question is, (and for some strange reason I have not gotten a response) if you have the type of multiswitch that is inside the lnb housing, you just plug the lnb in. But is there a stationary female F connector inside, or is a a "floating" coxial cable with female f connector inside? I get the impression that if you just "plug" the lnb in, the single male f connector on the back of the lnb. must plug/fit into a stationary female f connector?? anyone?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have disassembled and reassembled my Channel Master DirecTV plus dish several times as the system has been reconfigured. what I have is a simple, single f-connector INSIDE of the mounting bracket that the LNB simply slips into. It couldn't be easier!

Just remove the grey cover, loosen the screw, insert the LNB and reinsert and tighten the screw. That's it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok. I got the Sat C Kit yesterday and installed it - so far so good.

I made sure that the combiner went into the 18v input of the multiswitch. Here's the rub, I get HDNET and HBOHD just fine, same as always. The signal strength on the 119 Sat is in the 80's and I'm getting low 90's on the 101 Sat. On the 110 Sat I'm not getting anything, zip, zero, nada.

When I called the D* Tech Line they said I need to realign the dish. This doesn't sound right to me. If the signal strength on 101 and 119 is great why would I have to realign my dish for the middle bird (no jokes please)?

At this point I am really confused and could use any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I changed the set-up from Oval 2 LNB to Oval 3 LNB and when I went back to check it was correct with 3 LNB. This was one of the first things I checked.

I have also revirified the wiring. Just to be safe I swapped the B side 13V and 18V cables - as expected I lost HDNET and HBOHD so I've swapped them back. I now have HDNET and HBOHD but still nothing on Sat C (110).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dan

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
soundoff: exactly the same thing happened to me, zenith hd1080 box, sat a,b,c oval dish selected, good signal strength on sat a,b zip on c. still troubleshooting. there were two output terminals on the LNB: i used the left one viewd from the dish toward the LNB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.