AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes during a movie, I get the "File Not Supported" pop up on the tv screen. The movie continues on after a few seconds, but the pop up remains.

If you hit ok, the movie stops, the device mostly locks up and I have to power/down/up.

I just restart the movie, jump to about the same time, and it usually works ok after that.

Submitted to Dlink Tech support today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fred, I bought the DSM 320 this week. I have the same problem that you have. Though I believe it to be more than a minor problem. While you might be able to stop reboot the machine, and chase the file to the point of the error and resume allowing you to finish viewing the movie, I do not believe this will be the case if the length of the movie is long.

Another problem is the fact that D-Link advertises that it plays WMA files. And it does, to a point. I bought mine, with the intention of playing my WMA audio ripped to the harddrive in WMA Lossless compression. That is a no go. I had 54 gigabytes of fliles I had to reconvert to WMA variable bitrate lossy compression. This fact is not made known in the owners manual. (such as it is) I even called D-Link tech support, and they were next to usellss. I did find out by reading on the PDA file on the installation disk that the machine does not do WMA Lossless compression.

All that said, I will keep the DSM320 as it does play the audio files very well even at the lowered bit rate.

One thing I did notice if it will help, is that it does not like 802.11b for video filels. When I tried to stream the video wirelessly through my cable modem (802.11b) I almost immediately got the "File Not Suppiorted" error. I installed an 802.11g wireless router in the line, and connected to it, and could stream perhaps 30 minutes before getting the error mentioned above. Even then when fast forwarding past the point of the error, it would only play for a short time before another error.

Hope this helps some who might be thinking about a purchase. The sound of music streamed is very good. Not CD quality, but very good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent a lot of time trying out media server software. My limited Results:

Windows Media Connect: Useless.

Nero Mediahome CE: Useless.

Dlink provided software: Good all around, but the video File Not Supported Error occasionally happens. I just jump to the approximate location and continue. Great for everything else. Limit of 700 files for audio unless you use playlists.

Tversity: Undeveloped GUI. Useable though for some movies. Will play most movies that are "jerky" better than all the rest. Live transcoding of video pretty good. Not good for anything else but video.

Twonkyvision: Pretty good. I bought it and use it alot. Interface gets some getting used to. The Config program seems not to work, but the Browser type interface does. To start and stop it you have to use XP Admin/Services. But if it is running you can restart it from browser interface.

When I get the file not supported error, you have to power off the unit for about 15 or 30 seconds, then power up. If you power up too soon the unit locks up and you have to pull the AC power plug for a while.

To get around file count limitations of servers I create playlists with Mediamonkey ( www.mediamonkey.com ).

I use Winamp to make Internet Radio (shoutcast) playlists that work with Twonky and Dlink servers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh. Twonky died last night, and cannot get it to work again. Even after remove/install. Oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.