AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's become trendy to make movies with the worst image possible.

First Traffic, then A.I., and now Minority Report.

Spielberg managed, obviously on purpose, to make a movie without colors, constantly over exposed, with lots of grain and a complete lack of definition. On some circles it might be called "art", the same circles who rave about artists crapping on a canvas and calling it genius.

Add to that massive amounts of EE and the filtering effect of this VGA resolution media called DVD, and you get worse than VHS.

As for the movie itself, well no need for spoilers. It's better than A.I., but so hard to watch that all the fun is removed.

No doubt many will call this movie the film of the century.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got a dvd screener of this a couple weeks back.... I thought it looked excellent. Guess I'm in one of those 'circles' . . . .

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
There are these things called movie theatres. I saw Minority Report in one last summer. It did look unusual, obviously on purpose, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of this fun film. Rather it added the right atmosphere. Reviews have been out for some time and I didn't see anyone calling it the film of the century. It was a nicely done futuristic action/noir flick, that's all.

It's unfortunate that HD video seems to have spoiled people's ability to enjoy movies unless they look a certain 'perfect' way.

M

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think that people are forgetting about artistic flair. If a director wants to film to a movie how ever he wants to extract a certain 'feel', then more power to him. No one complained to Picasso that his colors were all smeared together or weren't clearly defined so that is looks good on their wall at home! :( Gimme a break people!

As long as the DVD holds true to the theatrical presentation as closely as possible then you have the movie as the director intended, not as YOU GUYS would like to see it!

Sheesh!

Troy

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I hope the R2 version is better...

DVD-resolution isn't high enough to add more filtering to reduce clarity.

My $0.02

Tor Arne

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my point exactly!

I might have a completely different opinion with an HD transfer.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm all for artistic license, and generally enjoy films like Traffic which use color filtering or desaturation or whatever. But the super-film-grain look, except in small doses for effect, sucks IMHO, "A.I." being a good example. Get these films on HD, and the grain is super-apparent, to the point of being highly distracting. I haven't seen minority report, so I don't know if it's on the same level as A.I. with the grain thing, but I hope not.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I mean, on the subject of film grain, would anyone make a music album and have a steady 40db white noise backdrop throughout the whole album? Isn't that kind of the audio analogue of heavy film grain?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
It's artistic license.

Spielberg could have shot it using HD-cams that Lucas had used. But he didn't. Spielberg *wanted* the film to be grainy. He wanted to emulate the style of film noir and to his and Conrad Hall's credit, they succeeded.

It's like saying, "I don't like the color yellow so I won't buy any painting, clothing, car or furniture that is in yellow." It's your right but the rest of us thankfully get to choose the stuff in yellow.

The story is where you should concentrate on. If you don't like the story, it won't matter if this was super-slick. You still won't buy it for repeat viewings.

And since Minority Report was shot on film - and the first in a while since Spielberg uses 2.35 aspect ratio - you have no luck in the HD transfer.

fuad

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
you have no luck in the HD transfer.
I don't think that will be the case.

DVD has 6 times less information than HD, meaning that the result is .17 times that of the HD transfer.

If the director voluntarily removes the same amount of information on the film, the result is a drop down of .17 *.17 = .03.

That's the exact feeling I have here: complete and utter garbage.

I won't know for sure until I see an HD version of this particular movie, but there is a very good example illustrating this point: Payback.

The Payback DVD was very poor and annoying to watch, due to the intentional lack of color. I did not like the image at all.

When I got the HD version, it was another world: the picture was very sharp, and the lack of color was much less severe, exactly what was needed to the atmosphere of the film.

In other words, a talented director can diminish some of the video information to get the look he wants to convey, but when you add the loss of the DVD, it becomes unwatchable.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
you mean 1920x1080p HD ? that's not what we'll get on the coming HD DVD unfortunately. but i can imagine how better it is: i saw a documentary about Indians from a true 1080p source displayed by JVC Q1X DILA on a 20ft screen: lifelike!!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Screw the DVD. I'm waiting for the HBO HD version, which I'll record to DVHS (if my deck is working that month). It was shot Super35, so it won't be cropped.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I made one whack at it but the 169time burbped and went off the tracks a little over half the way through.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
.. would anyone make a music album and have a steady 40db white noise backdrop throughout the whole album?
Sure. Any early Sonic Youth album, Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, any Pu--y Galore, No Trend, Front 242, etc. Too many to list in different genres. Not all exactly 40db white noise, but lots of added noise, lots of traditionally "bad" noise inducing production methods used for artistic effect.

Complaining about how any of this music sounds when played on a high end audio system is the equivalent of complaining about film grain on a high end projector.

M

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robena
DVD has 6 times less information than HD, meaning that the result is .17 times that of the HD transfer.

If the director voluntarily removes the same amount of information on the film, the result is a drop down of .17 *.17 = .03.
Yoich! I'm speechless with the logic here. Since when is image quality commutative? There's a point of diminishing returns here. Nonetheless, I'm pumped. I'm going to run out and buy the DVD since I want to see what 3% of a movie looks like. :)

M

Postscript: Even tho the above comment was wiseassery, I am genuinely interested to see what this baby looks like. The second time I saw it in the theatres, I burned some images into my memory and will look for them. I will be impressed if some of the subtle washed out images in the precog visions come across in the DVD copy.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Complaining about how any of this music sounds when played on a high end audio system is the equivalent of complaining about film grain on a high end projector.
Spielberg isn't exactly the film equiv of a punk band. He is making a high end product, which he clearly knows will be shown on high end systems in High Def, where it will look like a monster noisefest due to the grain and compression systems doing the tango.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
And, BTW, I'm not saying of course that he can't do what he wants, and the punk doesn't bother to get my opinion anymore anyway. I'm just saying that film grain is not, IMHO, a worthwhile affectation in film presentation. I have the same right to say it sucks as he has to do it I guess. And I say it as someone who usually enjoys image manipulations of various sorts. But I just don't see any point to a heavy grain, whereas I can clearly see the reasoning for color tinting and desaturation and many other effects.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Speilberg can make whatever kind of film/music he wants. If MR has a noir/punk/grain whatever look, then so be it. Are you saying it looks worse on your system than it will on my 34" direct view from DVD? Or is more painful to watch than it was in the theater? This is going to be a hard discussion because I recall you've only seen LOTR in the theater, which was very 'clean'.

Random thought #2: if it's that painful to watch, can't you soften the picture with a filter?

M

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.