Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented this last night and loved the film, it's a 2 disc set and DTS

The movie's sound and plot were excellent but the video transfer has got to be one of the worst I've seen. The color was so far off and through out the movie it looked like it was alive with crawlies, man! I don't think I can say one nice thing about it!

Very disappointed!

Ddog!:mad:

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ddog
I rented this last night and loved the film, it's a 2 disc set and DTS

The movie's sound and plot were excellent but the video transfer has got to be one of the worst I've seen. The color was so far off and through out the movie it looked like it was alive with crawlies, man! I don't think I can say one nice thing about it!

Very disappointed!

Ddog!:mad:
Ddog:

With all the hoopla about this Spielberg mega-hit over the past year, I'm surprised you're not aware that the movie was filmed this way intentionally. Spielberg wanted to achieve a de-saturated, blue on gray futuristic look with this thriller and he did so much to the chagrin of a certain block of fans who wanted to see it in traditional clor format. The DVD replicates Spielberg's vision extremely well.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
It's curious. I would think that when someone sees a movie on DVD that they haven't seen in the theaters and it has a look that's different from the usual, the first question that would be asked is if this was intentional. Yet with every DVD of a movie that has a different look, such as "Traffic", "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", "Payback", etc., someone will start a thread describing how defective the DVD is instead of asking if it was intentional.

I wonder if these same folks who see this kind of movie for the first time in a theater remark that the print of the film is defective and ask for a refund.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wonder if the majority of Jerry's posts have to do with questioning other member's intellect or common sense?

Maybe, just maybe we could exercise some self control and let some topics slip by without the obligatory "do better research and home work, so I won't have to put you down" (as the natural born "cynic").

:confused:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty
I wonder if the majority of Jerry's posts have to do with questioning other member's intellect or common sense?

Maybe, just maybe we could exercise some self control and let some topics slip by without the obligatory "do better research and home work, so I won't have to put you down" (as the natural born "cynic").

:confused:
Actually, these days you do have to question a person's knowledge who automatically assumes the transfer is garbage because it doesn't look like all their other DVD's. With big release like AI, Saving Private Ryan, Ronin, The Matrix, etc... that use artist license to make off color transfers people should now at the least ask themselves (or others) "is this done purposely or a bad transfer". Especially when Steven Speilberg is concerned (ie. SPR, Band OF The Brothers, AI).

The same goes for al these post about defective DVD's because a certain DVD didn't work in their DVD player. They didn't bother to post "has anyone else had this problem" to see if it is just a isolated incident or not.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My apologies for sounding so stupid and believe me when I say that it only took me about 5 minutes to figure out that it was done this way on perppose, and no I didn't know that this movie looked like crap intensional and no I don't go to theaters, I have a very nice one in my house!

I must ask you people of higher intelligence.......Did you like it this way!!

I didn't. Iv'e seen the others that you mentioned and they did not bother me with the exception of Traffic.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Great. I guess I won't be ordering this one online and patiently waiting. BB/CC/wherever here I come to buy this damn thing so I can see if the DVD is screwed up or not. Two threads now, I can't sleep until this question has been answered.

ddog,

I don't claim to have higher intelligence but I liked the way this looked in the theater. It added to a very enjoyable movie to me. I think it's just another ingredient of a film that some people will like and some will hate. Like for myself, if you put the talentless spawn of lucifer Barbard Striesand in a movie, I would hate it. Some people like her and for them her presence adds to the movie. I personally wouldn't start a thread on how she was in a certain movie or gave me the heebie-jeebies or whatnot.

Nonetheless, the tinting/washout/grain thing is a relatively new trend and I can see how some would be taken aback by it or confused regarding DVD quality. Some of them are done badly. But usually not top drawer hollywood stuff like this.

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curious though, where did you rent it? Since it's not released until the 17th.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Maybe, just maybe we could exercise some self control and let some topics slip by without the obligatory "do better research and home work...
Marty:

As a forum that is dedicated to the exploration of the artistic and technical merits of film and the video presentation of film, I think the goal should be the advancement of knowledge, not the tolerance of mediocrity. Further, could an attitude like yours be any more condescending?

"Oh, he doesn't know any better so just let him be."

How about we try to encourage people to open up their minds to ideas that they may not otherwise consider due to limited knowledge or experience.

As to ddog's comment...

Quote:
I don't think I can say one nice thing about it!
I can think of several nice things to say about it, like, this transfer is a remarkable rendition of a very problematic film element. The intended look of the bleached print, with its high contrast, blown out whites, and heavy grain could be a nightmare for a compressed digital video medium, yet this DVD manages to convey the original look and atmosphere of what I consider one of the best films released so far this year, and one of the best science fiction films in many years. Indeed, in some respects, this DVD looks better than the film print I saw (twice).

BTW, for those interested, although it is not indicated anywhere on the package, the DD 5.1 soundtrack is EX and is properly flagged for those decoders that can detect the EX flag. Not only that, but the soundtrack on this DVD is so good, it might as well be something completely different from what I heard in the cinema. A fantastic blend of delicacy, subtlety, precision, and impact. One of the most impressive, and most effective, film soundtracks I have ever heard. This should be another Oscar nomination for Gary Rydstrom.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I'm in full agreement with Robert George. I just watched this one yesterday through a Sony G90 with a Radeon based HTPC onto a 10' screen. Very nice DVD indeed of difficult source material that had incredibly high intensity whites going much of the time. I couldn't find much in the way of compression artifacts either. Nice job and a good flick.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Guys,

How does the transfer compare to that of A.I. as they are of similar source material?...it sounds like the disc does a nice job of reproducing how the film looked in the theatre.

The film stock that Spielberg used plays a big part in setting the atmosphere for the story...a mood that stays with you long after you've left the theatre.

Issues I have with the film relate to the story. We had a very good discussion after the films release here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...inority+report

I'm looking forward to seeing this again at home!

Howie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert George:

As a forum that is dedicated to the exploration of the artistic and technical merits of film and the video presentation of film, I think the goal should be the advancement of knowledge, not the tolerance of mediocrity. Further, could an attitude like yours be any more condescending?
Robert, I appreciate your viewpoint. However, I don't think anyone is advocating the tolerance of mediocrity.

MikeM did a pretty good (civil) job of explaining to the original poster ddog about the transfer. I believe Jerry G "piled on", and I chose to comment on it.

And yes, I agree my attitude was condescending (but no more so than Jerry G's). In fact, I thought he might even enjoy some matching attitude, since his condescension is consistent.

As well, I apologize if I came across as "Oh, he doesn't know any better so just let him be". My viewpoint was more along the lines of "Let's try to speak to the merits of ddog's comments and leave out the personal commentary and try not to embarrass people in our replies".

FrankS, I agree that there should be a certain level of questioning in threads such as these. However, I chose to question the method(s) on how we ask them.

My apologies to all Jerry G's constituents.:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
ddog,

I'm surprised you didn't mention the menus. I think they look very cool. I liked the design aesthetic of the movie. I previewed a few chapters and I did see halos. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking. Not reference quality, but not too shabby. Some scenes are very grainy and the grain detracts from fine details. I assume in HD this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Marty, fair enough.

FWIW, I don't think Minority Report would play quite the same had it been photographed in a more conventional manner, and I am in the camp that thinks this film is among Spielberg's best work, so Kaminski's unusual lighting and bleach treatment of the film element must have something to do with that.

Larry, I don't think HD is going to change anything about how this movie looks. The only real difference will be a bit more detail in those scenes that have it and the grain structure will likely be a bit more stable, and perhaps even more apparent.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Robert,

I saw Minority Report in the theater and while the grain was quite evident, there was still a lot of detail. I just watched a scene where one character's head was rather non-distinct. This wasn't the case with the film I saw. In any case, as "film-like" as DVD's get, they aren't "like-film", imo. Next up, Resident Evil Superbit. Yummy. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
the increase in brightness is particularly apparent in the elevator scene (between Ferrell and Cruise) - it looks like some other DVD's unprocessed deleted scene :)

as for the menu's, yeah i agree they're cool - but imagine how much BETTER it could be - like navigating through them as if you got the 'light gloves' on and you're scrubbing the image? :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
they have it at DDD for $14.84, just ordered it. It says $20 but on checkout it is just 14.84.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I'm getting this baby for xmas. can't wait to see the crappy transfer.;)

In all seriousness, I enjoy movies that are shot different from the norm. They add something extra to the movie.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
About to watch but could not help but notice that the aspect ratio is listed on DVD and back of the case as 2.39. Has anyone cheeked to be sure it's not 2.38? :)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.