AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I think I just realized that I was sold Minwax Poly and not the Polycrylic.... has anyone tried both and is there a large difference in performance?

I have Behr SS plus Minwax Polyurethane 3:1 right now, but if there enough of a performance difference, I will put on another coat with Polycrylic.... ...

I told the person Polycrylic, and thought I had checked the can, but I think it's the wrong stuff... ugh!.... and no wonder the stuff stinks so much also!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
too funny...

back 4 or 5 years ago... when mm first tried the poly to spray a rs-maxxmudd screen... he too accidently mix in the oil based polyurethane instead of the water based polyacrylic.

actually, i'm a bit surprised that you were able to mix the oil based poly into the paint in any decent amount of quantity... or that it didn't separate during the drying process.

if there's a performance hit... then it would be one of speckles or sparkles... where an area or bubble of poly has separated and has greater sheen than a flat area.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/18247788

too funny...

back 4 or 5 years ago... when mm first tried the poly to spray a rs-maxxmudd screen... he too accidently mix in the oil based polyurethane instead of the water based polyacrylic.

actually, i'm a bit surprised that you were able to mix the oil based poly into the paint in any decent amount of quantity... or that it didn't separate during the drying process.

if there's a performance hit... then it would be one of speckles or sparkles... where an area or bubble of poly has separated and has greater sheen than a flat area.

ugh.... all the time I took to set all this up and then I screw up the final coat.... well my projector is coming today or tomorrow so I will look for any hotspots or speckles....but even if there are no obvious issues, will the polycrylic have better performance vs. the regular poly.... I want to try and boost the gain a bit with the behr ss......

I also wanted to try and do 1:1 ratio, so maybe I'll get the polycrylic with more ss anyway.... another $20.... =(

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
The other day when you were saying you couldn't experiment more till spring because of the fumes I almost said something, but some people suffer from the water born poly and latex paint smells as well, so I didn't say anything.

Oil and water don't mix well that's for sure.

Sorry for the mix up I haven't been following the threads that close lately. It's all part of the fun of DIY.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 /forum/post/18247869

The other day when you were saying you couldn't experiment more till spring because of the fumes I almost said something, but some people suffer from the water born poly and latex paint smells as well, so I didn't say anything.

Oil and water don't mix well that's for sure.

Sorry for the mix up I haven't been following the threads that close lately. It's all part of the fun of DIY.

yes, the fumes were intense.... .... I just want to get the benefit of a poly mix, esp after all the work ive done on this.... it's too bad I dont' have any more SS even though I know it's only $10 more.... and $10 for the correct poly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts