AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
It will work fine.

What are your front left and right speakers. If they are 150s, it will work great.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have 550's on the way. but it is impossible to find a c150. they are no where.

so i thought maybe a 150 for center to go with the 550's. bad side is i can only get them as a pair. ??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Our store has C150's in stock. PM if interested.

·
Registered
542 Posts
pm replied

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with the 150 as the center. This speaker is more similar to the 550s. The c150 suffers from ALL the issues associated with horizontal MTM centers.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/12959666

If it were me, I'd go with the 150 as the center. This speaker is more similar to the 550s. The c150 suffers from ALL the issues associated with horizontal MTM centers.

understood. but what about placement. >>???

cant really place under tv on stand. they are pretty tall.

as far as above tv on wall shelf. would that mess the sound up to much.?? because of height, or do they not fall prey like other speakers because of sound field.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger /forum/post/12959713

understood. but what about placement. >>???

cant really place under tv on stand. they are pretty tall.

as far as above tv on wall shelf. would that mess the sound up to much.?? because of height, or do they not fall prey like other speakers because of sound field.

Fall prey to what?

Because of their design, you wouldn't want to place them under the TV or shelf. They need to be free to project their sound. Just above the TV should be fine, they are front-ported so that wouldn't present any problems if you need to place it against the wall. If you need to place it higher, you could always consider hanging it on the wall, upside-down. I have heard Nanosats used this way (high and upside-down) and they sounded fine.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my tv is a 61" and i have a shelf at exactly the same height as the top of the tv. so the bottom of the speaker would be the same height as the top of the tv, just 3" back.

that would be ok.???

and i guess i never thought of a normal speaker for a center, but i assume thats ok.???

thanks for the help

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey gus, I was wondering how those Macromounts were working out for you
Thanks again and happy listening.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger /forum/post/12959839

my tv is a 61" and i have a shelf at exactly the same height as the top of the tv. so the bottom of the speaker would be the same height as the top of the tv, just 3" back.

that would be ok.???

and i guess i never thought of a normal speaker for a center, but i assume thats ok.???

thanks for the help

How high is the top of the TV? You may need to tilt it down a bit, especially because of it's design. Because of those speakers' design, they project sound up and out to produce a larger soundfield. This could be problematic if the center one was used too high as the dialogue may sound like it is coming from too high above the screen. As I said, if it's really high, you may want to consider mounting it upside-down.

A normal speaker works best in the center precisely because it IS normal.

BTW, can you buy a single 150?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Indeed you are correct sivadselim, as is the recommendation with any of the Mirage speakers utilizing the omniguide, if it is mounted at a height above 6 feet, the speaker should be inverted (mounted upside-down).

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tv is pretty high..

from floor to top is 5' so the top of the 150 would be at 6'.

but if i mounted it upside down, would the sound be harmed in anway due to the fact the tv obviously sticks out further than the speaker. by about 6". what i am trying to say is would the sound from the 150 bounce off the back of the tv.??

sorry for all the questions..

·
Registered
542 Posts
You are bound to get some cancellation at certain frequencies with either design (omni or direct-radiating) with that placement. Based on Mirage's recommendations when the omni design was first introduced, there should be at least a foot between the omniguide and the first reflective surface. For what it is worth, I have my direct-radiating center channel just above and behind my flat panel by a distance of 8" and I don't have any perceived sound issues at any of my seating positions. That's not to say that there isn't any; it is just that I don't hear anything negative.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver /forum/post/12959879

Hey gus, I was wondering how those Macromounts were working out for you
Thanks again and happy listening.

The macromounts are working great. They are extremely sturdy provide a very solid mount for the 150's which are not that small to begin with. Thanks again TDI.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 /forum/post/12960219

The macromounts are working great. They are extremely sturdy provide a very solid mount for the 150's which are not that small to begin with. Thanks again TDI.

No problem. Glad to help and hear that you are enjoying your system. If you ever need anything let me know.

Best,

TDI

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger /forum/post/12960062

tv is pretty high..

from floor to top is 5' so the top of the 150 would be at 6'.

but if i mounted it upside down, would the sound be harmed in anway due to the fact the tv obviously sticks out further than the speaker. by about 6". what i am trying to say is would the sound from the 150 bounce off the back of the tv.??

If you have definitely decided that you would mount it upside-down, above the TV, mount it high enough so that the TV isn't an issue. Since you will have already flipped it over to alleviate any issues caused by from mounting it high, what's a few more inches?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts