AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a very specific dilemma that I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks at avs can help me with, and I have thus far not found an existing thread to answer it.

I currently have a Mirage Nanosat 5.1 setup, with the center channel replaced with an Omni V2 CC. I like the setup in my 10x12 room (with the back wall mostly open), but the sub has come up short for movie watching. I'm noticing it straining in specific instances, and need a solution. At first I was thinking of replacing it with a Hsu stf-2 or an Omni S10, but don't want to just waste my current nanosub. I was thinking of adding a comparable omni S8 in a dual sub setup, since the 8" nanosub and S8 seem to be fairly similar/compatible.

I like the idea of the dual subs b/c I can get an S8 for much cheaper than an stf-2 or S10, and I wouldn't have to waste my current sub, but I'm not sure if dual 8" mirage subs would be comparable to going with a good 10" sub. I'm not necessarily looking for insanely low lows, I just don't like my current sub flapping on me when I push it hard.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
the advantage of adding a second sub is 1) more volume 2) possibly better sound quality due to the way two subs can "even out the bass" in your room

But the disadvantage is that with two small subs, you'll still be missing out on the deep bass that can really give your HT that wow factor.

If it were me, I'd go for the STF-2. Yes it's going to cost more, but in the end, it'll be a much more satisfying. Can you consider just selling your nanosub, or moving it to your computer system or something?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just returned a Mirage Omni-S10. I was not pleased with its low end ability. I doubt you would be either. I would suggest going with something that is capable of getting down to at least 20Hz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback warpdrive and dust! I guess I will hold off and wait until I can spare some extra cash to get the Hsu, and find a new home for my soon-to-be-lonely nanosub.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust~ /forum/post/15445207

I just returned a Mirage Omni-S10. I was not pleased with its low end ability. I doubt you would be either. I would suggest going with something that is capable of getting down to at least 20Hz.

ok 21Hz just wasnt enough

your hearing must be awsome to hear the 1Hz difference!
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...pecifications/

the s-12 maybe what you need, but they are hard to find.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark /forum/post/15494102

ok 21Hz just wasnt enough

your hearing must be awsome to hear the 1Hz difference!
http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...pecifications/

the s-12 maybe what you need, but they are hard to find.

Ummm...just because the product spec says 21hz doesn't mean it can get there with any amount of SPL. Trust me, I owned a Mirage OM200 which was rated if I recall down to 19hz.

It rolled off considerably at about 27 to 30hz.

In that size room a sub such as the SVS's PB10 would do quite nicely. Look for a used one on audiogon, they're pretty cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.