AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently running a full polk rm setup. been happy with it for the past 4 years but upgradeitus has kicked in...

rm50t towers for front - $1,500 a pair original

rm7302 center - $450 original

rm40t towers for rear - $1,000 a pair original

all powered by a harman kardon 7550hd receiver.

i noticed the clearance sale at vanns on the old mirage line. specifically looking to pick up four omd-15s and one omd-c1. it seems they originally cost about double my Polks. are they twice as good for HT purposes?

is it worth switching out? am i going to notice more impact in movies with the mirage speakers? unfortunately, i cannot locate a local dealer to audition the line...

the reason i am looking at the mirage omd line because in addition to good sound, good looks are very important to me.

thx

·
Registered
402 Posts
drewTT

Since no one has answered your question, I'll try. I know nothing about your Polks, but yes, I think you would be happy with the Mirage OMD line of speakers for HT. I had to downsize 2 years ago from a Paradigm Studio series setup when I moved to an apartment. I bought the OMD-5s And C-1 for my front channels and use the Omnisat-V2 for surrounds and have been very happy with this setup. You will not find a dealer near you to hear them. They are exclusive to Vanns now. The current weekend sale of $400.00 ea. for the OMD-15s is an unbelievable price compared to what they sold for when they originally were introduced by Mirage a few years back.

You mention that looks are important to you. I think these will fit the bill.

Right now I am having a tough time trying to talk myself out of ordering a pair of OMD-15s myself at the current price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well they work great for home theater, but the only true impact they deliver is highs and high-mids. The lower end on these things is non-existent. OMD5's, while rated at 60Hz, really need to be crossed over at 120Hz. Anything below that sounds quite poor. From there and up sounds great though and they just radiate sound from all directions. If you can pair them with an excellent, dynamic sub i think you will be very happy. If you can afford it maybe grab of pair of ($800/pr) OMD15's. I use 4x OMD5's and a C1, and while it sounds very good I find myself missing the midrange fullness of towers and am saving for 2x OMD15's now.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell /forum/post/19552261

drewTT

Since no one has answered your question, I'll try. I know nothing about your Polks, but yes, I think you would be happy with the Mirage OMD line of speakers for HT. I had to downsize 2 years ago from a Paradigm Studio series setup when I moved to an apartment. I bought the OMD-5s And C-1 for my front channels and use the Omnisat-V2 for surrounds and have been very happy with this setup. You will not find a dealer near you to hear them. They are exclusive to Vanns now. The current weekend sale of $400.00 ea. for the OMD-15s is an unbelievable price compared to what they sold for when they originally were introduced by Mirage a few years back.

You mention that looks are important to you. I think these will fit the bill.

Right now I am having a tough time trying to talk myself out of ordering a pair of OMD-15s myself at the current price!

thanks for the reply. i figured not many will be familiar with the polks, therefore i listed their original msrp to give folks an idea. the polks have a soft dome tweeter. i find myself preferring a hard dome tweeter (like the one in my energy rc-50s).

i am fairly new to the omnipolar idea and i am not sure if it would work good in my room...

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19552541

You going to get the gloss black or rosewood OMD-15? The rosewood looks gorgeous. If it is anything like sister company Energy's rosenut color I'm sure it is beautiful.

thinking about the gloss black...

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyTally /forum/post/19552886

Well they work great for home theater, but the only true impact they deliver is highs and high-mids. The lower end on these things is non-existent. OMD5's, while rated at 60Hz, really need to be crossed over at 120Hz. Anything below that sounds quite poor. From there and up sounds great though and they just radiate sound from all directions. If you can pair them with an excellent, dynamic sub i think you will be very happy. If you can afford it maybe grab of pair of ($800/pr) OMD15's. I use 4x OMD5's and a C1, and while it sounds very good I find myself missing the midrange fullness of towers and am saving for 2x OMD15's now.

i hear you. towers for me as well for more ht impact.

i have a svs pb-12plus that works great with the polks now. pairing that with the mirage should not be an issue.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, now the big question. will my room set up work ok with the omnipolar speakers?

notice the left front speaker does not have a wall behind it and the front right is very close to a wall. also the center would have to go on top of the tv but that seems far from ideal, because it seems like the mirage center can't really be aimed down.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is where the rear omd-15 tower would go. again, is it too close to a wall, corner to reflect properly?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19554700

You may want to look at the Energy RC speakers - They are back in stock

at Vann's. The Mirage will have some problems, with your room and set up.

That's what I was afraid of, Jim. I have a pair of Energy RC-50s in another room. They sound amazing with music.

I think I am going to look at B&W for my HT setup. They also seem to have excellent form and function. It's just too bad that those never come down in price like the Energy and Mirage.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyTally /forum/post/19552886

I would not think that you'd need to run your sub that high. According to Home Theater Magazine:

"The OMD-5's listening-window response measures +1.51/–6.01 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 101 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 86 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 5.05 ohms at 299 Hz and a phase angle of –63.27 degrees at 154 Hz"

http://www.hometheater.com/floorloud...ge/index2.html

·
Registered
19,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/19555167

That's what I was afraid of, Jim. I have a pair of Energy RC-50s in another room. They sound amazing with music.

I think I am going to look at B&W for my HT setup. They also seem to have excellent form and function. It's just too bad that those never come down in price like the Energy and Mirage.

I always like to try something different also.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guld /forum/post/19555442

I would not think that you'd need to run your sub that high. According to Home Theater Magazine:

"The OMD-5's listening-window response measures +1.51/–6.01 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 101 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 86 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 5.05 ohms at 299 Hz and a phase angle of –63.27 degrees at 154 Hz"

http://www.hometheater.com/floorloud...ge/index2.html

Agreed. I have the OMD5s and OMDC1 and I cross mine over at 65hz. A frequency sweep test revealed sound across the entire frequency range with no holes. Mirage OMDs strong point is movies. My Home Theatre has never sounded this good.

PS: They do require good power to sound their best. I use separates for mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.