AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fan of the Mirage Omnipolar design. Some people don't like it, and some think that Mirage manufacturing has become cheap (having gone to China), which may be true. I have heard multiple Mirage Omnipolar speakers and have liked the soundstage they create in various sized rooms (admittedly, I use them for almost 100% Home Theater rather than music), so have purchased a few different speakers.

Lately, I read a couple threads where people talked about the new Omni 150's and the good deals available on them out there - several people showed interest, but nobody posed AFTER buying the set and saying how they liked them.

I purchased a set for my rear speakers (I have Omnisat V2 FS for my fronts) and they came in today. I haven't set them up yet, but I did take a few pictures this evening while unboxing them and figured I'd post those pictures and a few comments for anyone in the forums who may be interested.

The set arrived, boxed together. The most surprising thing to me was the size. I had read the sizes online, but somehow had tricked myself into believing that they were smaller than they really are. That being the case, I took several pictures with the speakers next to a tape measure and/or a DVD case, to give any viewers some perspective.

I am planning on putting these on the ceiling, turned upside down, but I need to figure out a good mounting technique - I don't think the normal mounting brackets will work for anything but wall mounts.

I will audition the speakers over the next few days and post my findings and opinions. Also, please be kind, since I am not a true audiophile nor do I do auditions or write-ups, so this isn't going to be a professional thing...just something for anyone who may be interested.

First, a picture of the box that they came packaged in:

Next, a picture how the speaker came out of the box:

The top grill is not on the speaker, but the front grill is attached.

Popping the front grill off, you see the passive port:

I took a couple of the top of the speaker, but this seemed to be one of the best, showing some depiction of the size:

A profile shot, showing the flying saucer effect:

And a close-up of the speaker and saucer itsself:

The back of the speaker, with the mounting screw (as you can see, it is 6 inches away from the bottom/top of the speaker. They say that to mount these speakers on the ceiling, you should flip them upside down and mount them...I just can't figure out a good mounting technique to get that done properly. Anyone have any ideas?

And finally, instead of putting the speakers next to a tape measure, I figured I'd put them next to a DVD case to show the actual size -- don't think these are as small profile as the Bose or ORB speakers...

Anyway, that's it for the pictures. Like I said, tomorrow I'll hook them up in the back and take a listen to see how well they do...I'm pretty excited, since my current surround speakers are pretty much crap from an old HTIB system.

Hope the images help someone else in deciding for/against the speakers. So far, I like them...they are a tad larger than expected, but I'm ok with that. I'm really excited to hear how well they do in the theater (by the way, here's a picture of where I am with the theater at this point - still not done, but getting closer every day. I still have to build the stage, and the doors to enclose the components on the right, and then drawers and a door for the DVD collection on the left. A couple sconces and some trim work, and I'm done

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I like your "equipment wall" on the right of the screen. Every time I have to pull out a/v equipment to get to the rear connections, I swear the "next time" I set up a home theater, I will build an equipment wall with room to walk behind !

Did you consider the "omnicans" for ceiling mount or was it the very competitive price of the 150's that drove your decision ? ( $139 a pair at www.vanns.com )

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
As far as mounting, I had the impression that you'd need to get one of a couple kinds of mounts, and attach it in that mounting hole:

- a wall mount, and mount it near the ceiling on a wall

- a ceiling mount with a long extension and strong arm

These don't seem especially well suited to being ceiling mounted, I think a rear or side wall mount (somewhat high, upside down) is probably what they have in mind.

There's a Mirage forum, not well trafficked but you might eventually get some answers if you want to ask about mounting them:
http://community.miragespeakers.com

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/0

In your pictures, it looks like the "saucer" module is slightly off-center above the woofer.

Is that really the case or is it just the angle of the photos?

It's the angle of the photos. I should have taken them in better light, earlier in the day so I would have been paying more attention. As it was, I spent a few hours building a fence in my back yard, then came in and snapped a few shots before posting. Didn't think it through as well as I should have.

Tonight I should be able to say how well they sound... =)

-Scott

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/0

I like your "equipment wall" on the right of the screen. Every time I have to pull out a/v equipment to get to the rear connections, I swear the "next time" I set up a home theater, I will build an equipment wall with room to walk behind !

Did you consider the "omnicans" for ceiling mount or was it the very competitive price of the 150's that drove your decision ? ( $139 a pair at www.vanns.com )

Hey vanmeter, I thought of the omnicans, but had to go with the pro/con list:

Omnican Pro:

In-ceiling, thus it is less obtrusive.

Omnican Cons:

Smaller speaker size

Increased cost

Less able to 'move' it if I wanted to do so

Not as good of a range as the 150

In the end, the cost was the compelling reason to buy NOW, but I would have likely ended up buying the 150s anyway. If not the 150s, then the omnican 6's, which are fairly spendy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the very informative pictures and details, handcuff. My Omni 150s are still at my friend's place in New Jersey, and I'm not sure when I'd be able to receive them, hence I have not posted anything after my order.

What are your impressions of the Omni 150s after listening to them? Do they blend well with the Omnisat V2 FS fronts?

Could you also tell us what receiver and other components there are in the system? One of my concerns is that they are relatively inefficient, but are only rated at 100W, so I'm not sure how they would fare in a larger room, tasked with putting out higher volumes.

I also seem to see a subwoofer in the corner of your picture. If it's not too much effort, could you tell us how they sound as mains when set to 'small' on your receiver with the sub handling below 80Hz.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna /forum/post/0

Thanks for the very informative pictures and details, handcuff. My Omni 150s are still at my friend's place in New Jersey, and I'm not sure when I'd be able to receive them, hence I have not posted anything after my order.

What are your impressions of the Omni 150s after listening to them? Do they blend well with the Omnisat V2 FS fronts?

Could you also tell us what receiver and other components there are in the system? One of my concerns is that they are relatively inefficient, but are only rated at 100W, so I'm not sure how they would fare in a larger room, tasked with putting out higher volumes.

I also seem to see a subwoofer in the corner of your picture. If it's not too much effort, could you tell us how they sound as mains when set to 'small' on your receiver with the sub handling below 80Hz.

Ok, I'll do my best to get as much of that out as possible.

First, they blend in a most excellent (best 'Simpsons' voice possible) way with the V2 FS towers I have. The sound is continuous, and blends from front to rear and left to right without noticable change.

I haven't set them up as mains, only as rears, but have put them through their paces. My setup is as follows:

L/R: Omnisat V2 FS
Center: Def Tech CLR1000 - this seem to blend very well with the Omnisats to my ears. (I am going to pair it with an Omnisat V2 CC to see if I can get a wider dispersal, but before that, I really liked the Omnisat V2 CC...just had one of my employees give me the CLR1000 for a really good price, and couldn't pass it up). I'll try the pairing - everything looks good on paper to see how well it works to have the V2 CC paired with the CLR...if it sounds bad or seems to cause issues with my receiver, I'll pull it off...right now I just want to test to see how it works with the CLR below the screen and the V2 CC above the screen, pointed down.
Bass: Def Tech Powerfield 1500. It's a 15" that goes down to like 15 or so, and really moves some air. I haven't tweaked it out with my system yet, but so far it seems to work well.
Receiver: Denon 2807.

Room Size: It's an L-shaped room, about 25 ft deep and (at the screen) about 11 ft wide. Once beyond the wall on the left of the picture, it opens to the left about another 15 ft or so (with 8 ft ceilings), so there is a lot of open space. You can see a room diagram on my build thread to get an idea. The speakers I have seem to fill that space very well, although I'd like to move on to a 7.1 system from where I am.

The 150s sound good and solid, most of the 'test' material that I've run through them to try with LFE stuff seems to turn out very well and not make them seem like they are unable to give lower tone response. I'd buy them again for rears (actually, I'm planning to get them for my #6 and 7).

Hope that answers the questions...I'd be more than happy to give specific answers. I just don't really have that technical info to give about these except that they create an excellent, wide sound stage that has amazed me and the 10 or so people I have drug down to my theater, saying "You GOTTA hear this...it ROCKS!"

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

-Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/0

handcuff,

How do you like the Omnisat center speaker? How does dialogue sound?

I used the Omnisat center for about 2 months, then a couple weeks ago I got the CLR1000 for a great price. I would have stayed with the center had it not been for the price, but I couldn't pass up on the 1000. I've used it ever since, and have found the 1000 to be better if I am sitting in the sweet spot, but the Omnisat to be better if I were located off-center by more than about 20 degrees in either direction. I will be sitting center any time the theater is going and I'm there, but I have several people that join me for movies/sports, so am going to test pairing both speakers for a dual center and see how it goes...try to get the best out of both worlds (It'll probably go for crap, and I'll hate it, but at least I'll know).

The dialogue was clear and solid with the Omnisat V2 CC and I really liked it. The 1000 offers a little lower frequency response, so I get a tad more bass from deep voiced males...something I wouldn't have missed or cared about had I not had the 1000. I may even decide it isn't that big of a thing and stick with the CC, if the pairing doesn't work well.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer more.

By the way, if anyone has any ideas on how to mount the 150's against the ceiling, please let me know...I have some ideas, but would prefer some input.

Thanks,

-Scott

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: mounting the Omni 150s against the ceiling, the Macromount seems to be the official solution, with the speaker cable terminals pointing up towards the ceiling and the port pointing downwards.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heya Krishna,

Have you tried this, and if so, does it sound OK? I thought the ideal would be to mount it completely inverted (bottoms up) so that it pointed straight down, rather than 'forward'...I don't mind trying it the other way, as long as others have had success with it that way.

Thanks,

-Scott
Quote:

Re: mounting the Omni 150s against the ceiling, the Macromount seems to be the official solution, with the speaker cable terminals pointing up towards the ceiling and the port pointing downwards.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:

That may be the Mirage mount, but I can't imagine that ceiling mounting them that way is the official solution, because it's not a very good way to mount these.

When you can, from where you're sitting, see into the speaker cone (between the omniguide arm and the surround of the speaker) you get the best sound out of the omniguide/omnipolar speakers. Kind of like this, except at an even lower angle. See how the disc on top the tweeter and the big omniguide would be in the way if you moved up? Those two discs bounce the sound forward, to the general area these photos were taken from (or at a little lower angle).

If you mounted these with the speaker terminals toward the ceiling, the sound would be best only directly under and just in front of the speaker, and to the sides of that. It wouldn't project well to the rest of the room. The omniguide would be in the way.

Better to side- or rear-wall mount them (upside down) or just stand mount them (upside up).

P.S. - I added the bold:
Quote:
Here’s how the Omniguide works. ... The Omniguide’s convex reflector is mounted directly above and a short distance away from the cone, at a specific angle to the driver. The tweeter ... is mounted atop the midrange driver’s reflector, and above the tweeter is another convex reflector, again placed a specific distance away and at a certain angle. ...

The shapes, angles, and distances result in the drivers’ outputs ricocheting off the saucers and being dispersed so that most of the sound is directed forward, with lesser amounts to the sides, and the least amount to the rear. Mirage thinks of this as a 360-degree radiation pattern with a forward bias. The goal of such a dispersion technology is the spacious, room-filling sound that evenly dispersing, 360-degree-radiating speakers are known for -- that is, speakers that put out equal sound in all directions, such as those from mbl and Duevel -- but with the imaging precision of a good conventional, forward-firing speaker. This is quite different from the original M-series speakers, the bulk of whose output was fired directly to the front and rear, and the least energy to the sides. Here it’s front, then sides, then rear, the output smoothly decreasing from front to rear. - link

·
Registered
243 Posts
handcuff, I haven't mounted my speakers yet. I've been planning to wall mount them in the orientation I described at around 7 ft height once I receive them.

buzzy_ you make a good point. It sounds like mounting the speakers with the base against the ceiling and the cones pointing roughly downwards but slanted towards the listening area might be a better solution.

A couple of ways I can think of doing this are to use a small projector mount, or something like a flush mount for a flat panel display.

Heres an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-Telehook.../dp/B000A3PKHK

The interesting thing is that this particular mount is rated at 1 star, but it's flaw may actually be an advantage for mounting objects smaller than a flat panel.

The downside to either of these is, of course, that you'd have to make holes in the speaker cabinet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:

A couple of ways I can think of doing this are to use a small projector mount, or something like a flush mount for a flat panel display.

Heres an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-Telehook.../dp/B000A3PKHK

The interesting thing is that this particular mount is rated at 1 star, but it's flaw may actually be an advantage for mounting objects smaller than a flat panel.

The downside to either of these is, of course, that you'd have to make holes in the speaker cabinet.

I like that idea, but had the same concern about holes in the cabinet.

I did find this mount that looked about right:

It's an Omnimount 20.0

But I am not sure if it is long enough...it seems like it from the basic measurements, but thats only from package size.

Any thoughts?

-S

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
I bought the Omni 150s when Vanns put them on sale for $140/pr. This purchase was motivated by curiosity, and I frankly wasn't expecting much. Boy was I ever wrong, these things are amazing!

First, the bass. They are so tiny that one would not expect much bass at all, let alone the tight, amazingly deep bass that they do put out. Admittedly it is not gut-punching, but it is tangible and room-filling even at astonishingly low frequencies. Going from large bookshelves and floorstanders to the tiny Mirages, I felt no disappointment at all. I have thrown my heaviest bass CDs at them (Goldfrapp, Brian Bromberg, Sigur Ros), and they do them full justice with no signs of strain.

Mids and highs are clean and detailed, with no distortion. My vocal reference CDs (Celtic Woman, Patty Griffin) sounded as good as I have heard them, as did my high-frequency reference (Ian Anderson.) Percussion recordings sound tight and fast.

The real clincher is the imaging. The soundstage is not merely huge for their size, it is even bigger than that of my bipolar Def Techs. Within that soundstage, instruments are precisely localized, and there is distinct movement along the vertical axis (a rarity for any speakers.) At times, it sounded like I was listening to a surround-sound system, not just a stereo pair.

The Omni 150s sound so amazing that if they were in a high-end showroom with a $1000/pr pricetag, I have no doubt that they would sell. That level of performance for $140 has to be the greatest bargain in audio today.

Far from being the novelty item I expected, these are going to be my preferred mains, at least for a while.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
I have switched things around a couple of times since the above post, but I am back to using the 150s (on their own) as my stereo mains. Hearing such a huge sound from such tiny cabinets outweighs their limitations.

·
Registered
16,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMbEst /forum/post/13882964

any idea how much does it cost for a pair now?

Is it worth the trouble to top up a little for the 350/550?

I think the OMNI line was discontinued, so if you can find any of them, they should be significantly discounted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts