AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just recieved my Omni 550's and noticed that the highs seem muffled, almost like they are low-passed out! I have them hooked up to my HK AVR-274, tone is set to zero on bass & treble, speakers large. I have no problem with the highs on the OLD Pioneer CS-E9000's I just unhooked, just rotten surrounds on the woofers.

Has anyone else had problems with this? I am hoping it is the fact that they need to be broken in, but I have never heard any new speakers with such muffled highs.

Thanks,

Parker

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
My 350s use exactly the same tweeters, and have excellent highs. If anything, they err a bit on the bright side.

You might try taking the grill covers off (and make sure the little protective plastic doohickeys have been removed!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made sure those covers were removed before I wired them up. I am listening to them right now and cymbal hits sound almost muffled. Were yours bright right out of the box?

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobedeath /forum/post/13182201

I made sure those covers were removed before I wired them up. I am listening to them right now and cymbal hits sound almost muffled. Were yours bright right out of the box?

My 550's were bright out of the box but after a while they settled down a lot. Mirage does state in the manual that they need about 100 hours to break in but if you are hearing the opposite effect you might have a bad tweeter.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
FWIW, I found the Mirages to be slightly veiled sounding in the highs, but they shouldn't sound like the highs are missing either. They are highly sensitive to the room and surroundings, when I had them in an open space, they sounded too laid back

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Worth a try:

Try getting your hands on some frequency sweeps or an audio test disc - a search here or at google should turn up something you can download. Play those back and see if you notice anything unusual. It's a way to isolate the highs some. (Be aware that it will sound like it's dropping off sharply as it gets high, that's your hearing not the speakers. But that shouldn't happen until at least several thousand khz.)

Try standing in the center an equal distance away from each speaker. See if it sounds different - if so, maybe it's your listening position. Ideally you should be able to see into the cone of the omni speaker thing for best sound. It loses something if you are below that. That is, they do well side to side - better than a lot of speakers, that's their claim to fame - but the frequency response does seem to get skewed if you're too high (unlikely with a floorstander, more an issue with a bookshelf) or low (can happen with all of them) relative to the omni speaker. See this post for a similar discussion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've never heard Mirages described as bright. they are almost always laid back.

Put on a cd that you know well and that has the drummer hitting the bell of the ride cymbal and see how they compare to your former speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I figured it out. Upon closer inspection of the tweeters, I noticed that the domes and surrounds looked "stretched" a bit. The domes were actually sitting up against the omni-waveguides!! Well looking at the stock photos a bit, I could see that they were wrong so I took apart the tweeter and put a small hole in the sealed tweeter enclosure, then resealed it.

What happened was the temperature differential between inside the tweeter(probly room temp. originally at the factory) and the delivery truck(no higher than 19F) was causing pressure to build up behind the dome, causing the tweeter to not work.

Right now I am at work and the speakers are at home breaking in to the Comcast reggae music channel. The neighbors probably think I'm high or something!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Re: painfully bright

Don't think they are tipped up in the treble I just think it is a less expensive tweeter and is not as liquidy smooth with lots of air and extension.

There is pretty good detail and certain cymbal crashes have a hardness.

I do notice that when played at high volumes they can fall apart a little and can be harsher sounding.

But these are inexpensive speakers.

And even though they are inexpensive they do offer enough detail that they will show off a bad or tipped up recording.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
wow, the tweeter was touching the waveguide?

I think it's a just a matter of poor quality control. I doubt that the temperature difference would cause that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These things still sound kinda soft to me. I have to put the port plugs in and turn the treble up to get the resolution I like. Heck, it might just be a problem with the listener, but I am seriously considering returning them and ordering a pair of X-MTM Encores from AV123.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts