AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Room size is 15' by 15'. I am using this system for 80% music and 20% movies. I don't have ability to audition them. Given equal price, which would provide the best sound for music?

I will also be adding a subwoofer. Basic newbie question: when you play stereo music, say from a CD, does the subwoofer play, or oes it only play while watching movies in surround?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
im very interested in hearing opinions on the RTi8's compared to a SVS SCS01-M setup. Because there are deals on the polks currently that put them in the SCS range.

I was set on the svs system but if the polks are as good if not better i will start building my system with them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have the Infinity Alpha 50's. These are the predecessor the the Beta line. I can tell you that they are fantastic speakers. Good midbass, more than decent low end. Keep in mind that the Beta 50's have dual 8" woofers whereas the 40's have dual 6.5". The Beta 40's will make you a happy speaker owner, of that I have no doubt. The Beta series is being discontinued (I believe) so good discounts can be had. You could probably step up to the Beta 50's for $300 a piece, and you will probably be a lot more pleased than going with the 40's.

If that is not in your price range, by all means, go for the 40's. While the bass will not have the punch of the 50's, the mids and highs will be exactly the same. The 40's will not be a slouch speaker by any means. I believe CNET has a review of the Infinity Beta 50. Just go to the website or google it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
sounds like me a couple weeks ago.

i bought the 550's. the rti8's are the only other one i heard on your list.

i got the 550's on a blind/def buy. i could not audition them so i bought based on reviews. now that they are in my home i can honestly say i made the best decision of the two. 550's fill the entire living space, and the highs are much more pronounced. they maintain the quality at lower levels also.

my .02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I auditioned the rti8's yesterday. IMO they were too bright. Listening to rock, I was getting tired/annoyed with the 'brightness'. I can hear why some people talk about 'fatigue' when a speaker reproduces music too brightly.

So I crossed it off my list.

Infinity and the Mirage 550's are the same price. Since I can't listen to either, I am leaning more towards the mirage because it looks beautiful, and appears superficially to be high end/expensive, and different. The infinity just looks like a 1970's speaker. So unless there is any more information on the performance differences between these two, I am leaning more towards the Mirage Omni 550. I will wait and see if anyone on this board has compared these 2 speakers.

BTW are you using a center for the omni's?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I listened to the Polk Rti's today and agreed while they sound fantastic I could see getting tired of them for extended periods. I'm leaning towards the Mirage too, anyone else have experience with them? Too bad there is no place to listen to them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
right now i am listening to david gilmour in lossless 2 ch on blu-ray.

its breathtaking.....

the 550's just make great sounds, better.

i had this concert on blu ray when i had my jbl l series speakers. and its more (dare i say beautiful
) my wife actually stopped to listen to comfortably numb with david bowie......WOW

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a chance to audition OMNI 350's vs. Beta 50's. I was really set on the Beta 40 for a while there but after hearing the little Mirage speaker not only keep up with the much bigger Beta, but actually sound bigger and deeper, it was a no-brainer. I think the Beta would need much more power to sound it's best, whereas the Mirage will do more with less.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::bjorn:: /forum/post/13084693

the Mirage will do more with less.

You got that right. I am driving mine with a 20 watt/ch amp/CDP combo that was part of a shelf system, and it has plenty of power for them.

(Cambridge Audio Azur 340C & 340A have been ordered and are on their way, though!
)

·
Registered
542 Posts
PULLIAMM, congrats on your Azur purchases! Really great gear.

Sorry to go off-topic, now back to the thread . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts