AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting some opinions on comparing these two subs. I have both and am trying to decide which to keep with my orb speakers. I have a 5.1 set up, driven by an Onkyo Receiver from their now retired HT-SR800 ( http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i ).

It seems obvious that since I have the Orb speakers, I should pair it with the Super 8 sub, but I was finding that very rarely would the Super 8 kick on when set to "auto". I usually had to turn it on manually, especially when watching TV programs in HD and with music. I didn't have as many issues with DVDs. I have not had as much of an issue with the Mirage.

I may be displaying my ignorance here, but is my receiver lacking the power to kick the sub on or is it the source material that doesn't contain much for base or since it is a higher end sub is it just more precise in selecting when to turn on?

Maybe someone can suggest some tests to help me decide which way to go with my set-up?

Any insight someone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay. After looking a the specs of the two subs again, the super 8 is definitely a higher end sub. However, I am still missing the reason as to why it kicks on so seldom. Is it all dependent on source material, given the cross-over is set up correctly @ 120 Hz?

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurantz /forum/post/15474963

Okay. After looking a the specs of the two subs again, the super 8 is definitely a higher end sub. However, I am still missing the reason as to why it kicks on so seldom. Is it all dependent on source material, given the cross-over is set up correctly @ 120 Hz?

Every sub has a threshold that must be reached before it will turn on automatically.

Other people have the same problem with subs from other companies.

Certain subs have a reputation for being hard to get started and then they will turn themselves off during quieter sections of a movie.

Often, the only remedy is to use the ON position on the sub rather than the Auto position.

If you have the room, you might benefit from a better sub. The Orb sub is not considered a very capable sub around here, but then the people who hanag around here tend to have enough interest to shop around and often spend a good bit of money on subs.

If you are open to other choices, let us know.

At least let us know if there is an ON position you can use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts