AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a nice little Polk setup (2 RTi4s, CSi3, and 2 R15s with a Mirage Omni S8 sub) and just came across the Mirage Omnisat sale at Vanns.

How would it compare going from my Polk system to the Omnisats for all 5 speakers (maybe 6 if it would sound better). I am a little concerned about the center channel quality but like the form factor the Mirages offer.

Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am anxious to hear a reply to this. I have some Polks as well but no subwoofer and am eyeing the vann's deal along with the Lf150 10 inch subwoofer. Im so close to just ordering the dang thing but wanted to hear others opinions as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main concern is that I really like my Csi3, and I'm unsure how one of the omnisats would do as a center...but they're so small and cool...

I also currently have the Polks in a bookshelf (entertainment console) and would be putting the omnisats there too. Would this work?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought 5 of these from Vanns and set them up yesterday in a 5.0 system. (Still waiting for a sub to arrive.) This is replacing a 2.0 system. I bought them for the form factor, the placement flexibility offered by the diffusive soundfield, and the price.

I read concerns about the center channel being too recessed, but I just don't hear any problem. Dialogue seems just fine. Anyway, don't most/all receivers let you just adjust the balance toward the center channel if it's a problem? (I don't get it, but I'm a music guy, not yet much into HT.)

Before I set these up, I put two of them up against my brand new NHT Absolute Zeros that I got for a new bedroom music-only system. Again, I'm waiting for a sub here. I didn't have time to do a full comparison, but here's the executive summary. The AZ's have much better bass, Omnisat is not as extended and has a muddy upper bass (deadly for music), where the AZ effectively goes deeper and is nice and tight for an inexpensive speaker. The AZs are also airier, somewhat more resolving, and don't get as congested at higher volumes with complex music such as an orchestral tutti. The midrange and overall tonality and balance was a tossup and largely a matter of personal preference. I found myself preferring the Omnisats by a modest margin for jazz and the AZs by a somewhat larger margin for classical and techno. This is unusual, as I typically find myself preferring one speaker over another across the board when auditioning. I was less impressed by the omnidirectional thing than I thought I would be. The AZ's impressive imaging made up for it.

Overall, the AZ won the comparison, but neither speaker is a giant killer by any means. However, I'm coming from the Dynaudio Special 25 in my main music system, and I haven't auditioned many speakers under $500. I think both the AZ and the Ominsat are worth their respective street prices, and so far I'm happy with both purchases. But at their MSRPs, I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I don't think the Mirage Omnisats are going to compete with any decent full size setup (or even regular bookshelf speakers) in terms of depth and fullness, and overall dynamics. Mirage didn't break any rules, they are still a small satellite type speaker with the normal flaws that a small satellite has, namely a midrange gap. Even Mirage's own bookshelf speakers (I have their Omni 50) is superior in that regard, they are fuller and more dynamic sounding.

Their Omni feature does have the ability to make a big soundstage with a large sweetspot.

With Vanns return policy, I guess they are worth the try if you are curious about them. Heck I was tempted myself since I generally like Mirage (I have an S12 also)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that these are a different type of speaker and that smaller/compact will never really compare to large/full speakers, but my room is pretty small (~13X9X8), and I currently have my center channel up near the ceiling so that it can project over my projector screen and not get muffled behind it.

The smaller Omnisats would allow me to put my center below the screen and not only be more aesthetically pleasing, but also hopefully create a more realistic sound stage.

I'm really leaning towards giving these a shot...worst case is I don't like them and just pay to ship them back to Vanns. Anybody else have any feedback?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Seems you can't go wrong with trying them. For that price, they have a pretty good price/performance ratio.

I'm always looking for ways to minimize clutter and offer a more WAF friendly setup myself.

The only issue I have with the Omni Mirages is that they tend to sound a bit congested in the lower highs, which sometimes limits their detail recovery. I think the newer ones (Omni V2) may have addressed that from what I have read.

I find the Mirages great as rear channel speakers as they really widen the sweet spot and make the sound more expansize and less localizable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got my new Omnisats from Vanns hooked up last night and they sound pretty sweet. They produce a nice enveloping sound and so far, no regrets. I'll try them out for a bit longer and then probably sell my Polks (even though they're so pretty...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just received the Mirage Omnisats that I purchased from Vann's for $160 a pair. I must say

this is the best $160 spent for qualtiy speakers. I am using these along with my JBL nd310ll which also have 4"mids, and titanium tweeters very similar to the mirages. I also have a paradigm 10" subwoofer and a JVC vbk 9010 receiver that has USB port(Burr-Brown) that I use along with my computer to play my mpg collection. I never knew how bad the bose 201's were until I replaced them with the Mirage Omnisats. I have the omnisats mounted on a 8 foot ceiling

with the speakers 5 feet apart and 7.5 feet from my listening position. My JBL towers are about

6 feet away from my listening position. I must say that additional sound from the Omnisats blend in pretty well with my set-up. Keep in mind that I have plenty of bottom end sound with my subwoofer and the JBL's and the sound coming from the ceiling mounted omnisats provide the additional clarity for the highs and mid range that I was after.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Temper your expectations and you'll enjoy these speakers.

Under spousal pressure, i moved from an NHT Classic Three HT setup to omnisats all around. NHTs were way way better, but omnisats were small and looked cute. It took me a while to get used to their sound but once my ears burned in, they sound ok. They surely are much better than any other small satellite speakers that one can lay their hands on in that price range ($80 a piece).

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix /forum/post/0

Temper your expectations and you'll enjoy these speakers.

Under spousal pressure, i moved from an NHT Classic Three HT setup to omnisats all around. NHTs were way way better, but omnisats were small and looked cute. It took me a while to get used to their sound but once my ears burned in, they sound ok. They surely are much better than any other small satellite speakers that one can lay their hands on in that price range ($80 a piece).

AGREED!!! I just spent about a week or so breaking in my 5.1 system of Omnisats + eD A2-300 Sub and I have to say I love the HUGE soundstage. Its like the sound is coming from the entire wall rather than a small point-source about halfway up the wall (like my Rocket Tykes were).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.