AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First time poster here, but I have been reading this invaluable resource for months now before during and after setting up my first ever home theater system.

In early December I finally pulled the trigger on Vann's Mirage half-price, free shipping Omni setup. I went with 2x Omni 350 for fronts, 2x Omni 150 for rears, and C150 for center channel. I got the 350s instead of 550s for fronts because I planned on buying a subwoofer at some point.

I'm an analyst at heart, and so I have read and tried to learn about the vast world of bass and acoustics in general, but I still have a long way to go.

I've read about the BIC H-100, AV123 X-Sub, Dayton, HSU of all kinds, SVS, a little eD, and Velodyne, but what I can't find ANYTHING on is the PRESTIGE S10 and S8 from Mirage. (I have read about, and am not interested in the standard Omni subs)

Does anybody have any experience with this PRESTIGE line? They look pretty and the numbers look decent to me, but I'd really be curious to see a response graph or hear from somebody that has heard one in action.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't bother with the new Prestige line as I don't really think it's a big leap forward in any noticeable way. I have the Omni S12 which is a fabulous sub. It certainly held its own against the SVS PB10 and Hsu STF3 which was its biggest competition at the time (and I *still* prefer it over the PB10 for sound quality). However, the landscape has changed a bit and all of the competitors have raised the stakes in every way. If I were buying now, I'd choose differently.

I'm pretty sure that Mirage rates the -3dB spec for "in room" which means its low frequency extension is more optimistic as those from SVS and such (based on my own experience with my S12). My S12 drops quickly below 25Hz which is different than the -3dB 19Hz figure quoted by Mirage

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
All the commercial offerings from the major brands are rated the optimistic (good case,room gain)way.Most rolling off before 25Hz...and lets not talk about a more or less clean 20Hz.

As was said,today the market is so competitive.Even subs from the known innovators who paved the way fall short...on SPL compared to the new boys in town.Extension HSU,SVS,eD,Epik and company have it in abundance,sound quality even if some rankings may give a clearcut answer...it is not.

As with proper integration anyone of the above four brands will sound terrific.

Mirage is one of the better values in subs,they measure quite well and offer very good performance.But the subsonic experts who live from selling mostly subs are hard to beat at their game.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on. Thank you both for your replies!

So I'm out on the Mirage, which is what I figured but I just had seen so little about the Prestiges.

And now I'm just left to decide between about 100 other subs. Originally I was *sure* that the H-100 would be what I needed. To be honest though, I'm not sure. I'd rather get my second sub first, if you know what I mean, and wait a lot longer to upgrade. Also- I do love bass, but the wife.. as long as it's not too loud, we're cool. And then, I live in a side-by-side duplex, so I really don't want to shake the neighbors (old, retired couple).

So- I'm left looking for efficiency (is that the right word?) I want accuracy (for music), preferably with a punch and good rumbling ability (for HT) even when it's not too loud. I've expanded my budget substantially, but I'd happily take money back off of the table if I don't *need* to spend as much. I'm in Milwaukee and could use the extra money for a vacation.

I think $550 is absolute tops for the budget, so I'm intrigued by the Epik Valor and the SVS 25-31 PCi. Might as well throw the HSU VTF2 MK3 in there too. But then I wonder if the H-100 might be all I really *need*. Is upgrading later when I move really such a terrible thing?

Room right now is 13.5' x 19.5' x 8' (~2,100 ft^3) with a 5.5' wide doorway that opens into the foyer and stairs.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
stag, if I were you I'd splurge a bit from the bare minimum budget (BICH100) sub you can buy. Upgrading again and again is fine but if you bought one of the larger subs, you can appeciate the extra headroom, clean bass, and subsonics right off the bat. It provides the WOW factor that ever HT needs when you do want to go louder on the volume

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all again for your input. I decided to finally just put a pre-order in on the new X-plosive. Based on what I've been reading, I don't think I can go wrong for $400 from AV123 and a Mark Seaton design.

Not sure when it will get here though, so if I start to get really itchy I'll just buy an H-100 and then sell it when I get my X-plosive. At least then I could compare the two and get some perspective.

Thank you all again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts