Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I went to Tweeter today to listen to some of their subs - was looking to replace a Yamaha YST-SW160 that just couldn't keep up with my evolving tastes. I listened to Velodyne and Mirage and the very nice sales guy informed me that the Mirage subs were on special. The Omni S-10 was $399 (reg $499) and the Omni S-12 was $499 (reg $799). I picked up the S-12 and what little time I have spent with it so far today it is wonderful. Nice and low and clean sound. It will mostly be used in a home theater, very little dedicated music listening. If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1015TX.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Good deal! I own the Mirage S-12 and it's a great sub. Somewhat overlooked in these foruns with all the SVS/Hsu hollering going on. API is onto something with their ribbed surround in the drivers.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow this sub is great! My whole house shakes - ok that might not be good but I agree, I wonder why this sub has not been mentioned more? The power that this thing puts out is just wonderful. I had auditioned the Velodyne DLS3750R and the Mirage Omni S-10 first, the Mirage had a cleaner sound, especially once the volume was increased. Once I heard the S-12 I could not resist, especially at this price. And to top it off, I picked it up in Wilmington, Delaware (I live in south eastern, PA) so there was no tax!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also still debating. I had decided on the SVSPB12 until I saw the Omni 12 for $499. Difficult to decide. Price is nice and a little more manageable due to size.

Still debating to save a little more and go with the PB12. Just not sure it is worth the price difference?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconus
Hey all,

I went to Tweeter today to listen to some of their subs - was looking to replace a Yamaha YST-SW160 that just couldn't keep up with my evolving tastes. I listened to Velodyne and Mirage and the very nice sales guy informed me that the Mirage subs were on special. The Omni S-10 was $399 (reg $499) and the Omni S-12 was $499 (reg $799). I picked up the S-12 and what little time I have spent with it so far today it is wonderful. Nice and low and clean sound. It will mostly be used in a home theater, very little dedicated music listening. If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1015TX.

Its nice to have evolving tastes. Congrats on the purchase.

-J

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14falcon
I am also still debating. I had decided on the SVSPB12 until I saw the Omni 12 for $499. Difficult to decide. Price is nice and a little more manageable due to size.

Still debating to save a little more and go with the PB12. Just not sure it is worth the price difference?
The PB12 is no doubt a more powerful sub that will reach deeper. How big of a room are you trying to fill? In reality, the Mirage should be able to easy pressurize a moderate size room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is consdered a medium size room? I will take measurments tonight and let you know. The specs on the Mirage looks like it goes as low as the PB12. It probably has a beter WAF also. However, the PB12 is more child proof but just don't know if th eprice difference is worth it...Ray

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I've used the Mirage S12 in a room that's 22x18, with high ceilings and the Mirage had no problem completely filling the room with clean loud bass.

The PB12 will reach a bit lower in any real world situation since it maintains its deep extension consistently as the volume goes up. But you do pay a price in terms of size (the thing is VERY large and takes up a lot of floor space)

I'm happy with mine. It more than meets my needs and sounds very good.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14falcon

Where did you find it for that price?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I also was at Sound Advice(Tweeter) today and saw the Mirage subs with those killer prices.....I will tell you one thing....The Mirage subs are one of the best looking subs I have seen.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryZ06
I also was at Sound Advice(Tweeter) today and saw the Mirage subs with those killer prices.....I will tell you one thing....The Mirage subs are one of the best looking subs I have seen.

Thanks. I will call around and see which loaction has them in stock.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerone
Mirage S-12 in a 11x14 room - too much?
Only if you don't have space for it.

Buying the bigger sub will certainly give you deeper bass extension, but you won't be making use of its headroom/output capability in that size of room.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber
How about the Mirage S12 in a 21X15 listening room that flows into another room? Will it be adequate?
Should be no problem. Unless you want to watch movies in the other room instead :p

My room is about that size (a bit smaller) with tall ceilings, and is open to another room, and the S10 easily handles it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconus
Hey all,

I am considering the same speaker. It sounded great in their special room :) what kind of room do you listen to it in? I would have it in a den. Thanks.

Room is 14.5x21.5x8

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.