AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have my Mirage OM-6's that I hooked back up earlier after living with my new Dynaudio Focus 220's for the past 7 months or so...

What I love about the Mirage is the huge 'live' (yet slightly smeary) soundstage, rich and lush sound and plenty of midrange...

What I love about the Dyn's is their accuracy and detail, intricate soundstage and imaging. they are just so detailed and tight... Ahhhh, that tweeter.

My question is... What brands could I look for that may be somewhere in-between the two??? Detailed and accurate, yet inviting with good midrange...

Yea, yea, the $64,000 question, I know... But what are a few brands I could look at?

I obviously like a laid back sound out of my speaker. I have owned B&W in the past but am unsure my tastes and ears were mature enough yet to know what I liked or didn't like about them back then. Guess I should put them back on the list but they are a bit forward right?

Dali? What are their characteristics?

My wife and I love both and wish I could have two systems. Since this is almost all I have ever known, I have no intention of selling either at this point, and just switch back and forth every other month... Unless, I find the middle of that road...

This is all I have ever owned so any suggestions would be a good start for me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A few suggestions (not sure on what either of your two speakers cost):

Monitor audio- very detailed sound, great midrange (especially in the silver series IMO)

Have you considered some non typical options like ribbon or electrostatic speakers?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you tried to reposition the Dyn's? Have you tried toe in? Have you tried to tilt them back slightly (I think called rake)? I was at a dealer recently that went on about tilting floor standing speakers back a bit to bring everything into focus.

Maybe others who know better could chime in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Dali Helicon 400s I listened to were very boring too me. I just prefer a more energetic speaker myself like Monitor Audio.

Take a look at the GS series

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 /forum/post/13028188

The Dali Helicon 400s I listened to were very boring too me. I just prefer a more energetic speaker myself like Monitor Audio.

Take a look at the GS series

Something must have been wrong with your audition. The Helicons can be described in many different words, but not one person or reviewer has ever used the word boring.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've never heard the Helicon's described as boring either. I do think that with the Ribbon tweeters, you either love them or hate them. Boring would probably mean you hate them.
The Dali's do introduce a coloration which may be something you do not like. I think they add a tad of warmth similar to what a tube amp is designed to do. I find with my listening tastes, some music types sound better then others, but none of it what I would consider awful. They are very balanced with their output. Dali's are to my ears a musical speaker, more so then any I've owned.

The Monitor Audio I think has a more punchy, in your face midrange, and can be a little on the bright side, but that is dependent upon personal tastes. I think your description of energetic would be appropriate. I did listen to the Monitor's one time at an audition somewhere and I felt very fatigued after time passed. Again, it is as you describe a very energetic speaker. Excellent choice of words.

I think the Dyn's are a very accurate speaker and neutral in their output. IMHO they were very revealing and had marvelous output, deep base and a wide and deep soundstage. However, after an hour of them, I felt fatigued. In this situation, the audition was in someones house in a large room in the basement without any room treatments. I thought the whole room was a major catastrophe as it had concrete floors covered with light padded carpeting and very little absorbent materials on the walls. Also, there were leather seats in his room, which I think also caused first point reflection. However, even after that audition, I would like to bring them into my own listening room and see if I hear the same results.

Unfortunately, I've never listened to the Mirage product line.

Speakers are just so damn subjective and there are so many influences along the way with source equipment and room characteristics. I've also come to the conclusion that moods of the person also play a role in how something sounds at that moment. All of these companies make great products, but it's always dependent upon personal tastes. Variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys so far and sorry for leting my thread sit for a few days...

Yea, 3k or so would be about the budget.

I love these 220's, its just after hooking up the OM-6's for the week I realized how much they have in the mid and mid-bass. I guess I miss that but they are not what I would call accurate or detailed at all.

My system is: NAD M55 player, Cary Cinema 11 pre, Halo A51 amp...

The Dyn's are placed pretty good and toe-ed in good. I will try to tilt 'em again but I found that to rob some low end before. Wish I could find some really short spikes to do so as the Dyn ones are pretty long and only allow for quite a bit of 'rake'...

Monitor Audio is to bright for my tastes. The Dyn's are far from fatiguing in my room.

Maybe I just need a good sub with great mid bass (not over powering) to fill in, as my sub is definitely the week link even though it has a relatively smooth 20 - 40hz range. Maybe I need one with good musical 40 - 80hz. That 40 - 60hz range is what I like. The sub is an old M&K dual 12 that i only use the one front firing drive on. I belive it is the 105 model maybe...

But all in all, the dyn sound with a lil bit more mid would be dreamy. I do love these things.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggy /forum/post/13035255

Thanks for the replys so far and sorry for leting my thread sit for a few days...

Yea, 3k or so would be about the budget.

I love these 220's, its just after hooking up the OM-6's for the week I realized how much they have in the mid and mid-bass. I guess I miss that but they are not what I would call accurate or detailed at all.

My system is: NAD M55 player, Cary Cinema 11 pre, Halo A51 amp...

The Dyn's are placed pretty good and toe-ed in good. I will try to tilt 'em again but I found that to rob some low end before. Wish I could find some really short spikes to do so as the Dyn ones are pretty long and only allow for quite a bit of 'rake'...

Monitor Audio is to bright for my tastes. The Dyn's are far from fatiguing in my room.

Maybe I just need a good sub with great mid bass (not over powering) to fill in, as my sub is definitely the week link even though it has a relatively smooth 20 - 40hz range. Maybe I need one with good musical 40 - 80hz. That 40 - 60hz range is what I like. The sub is an old M&K dual 12 that i only use the one front firing drive on. I belive it is the 105 model maybe...

But all in all, the dyn sound with a lil bit more mid would be dreamy. I do love these things.

Apologies if you saw my post yesterday before the server got blasted...but with that budget and a desire for accuracy with nice sweet mids, if you're still looking for stuff to audition, I'd suggest checking out Aerial and Revel. I think both excel at what you're looking for, but truth be told, I would probably have included the Dyn's on my short list too...so...I might just be suggesting more of what you're not really looking for.

Scott

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
As a long time Mirage fan (I still have my M760's bought in 1989), I just bought a pair of Energy RC-70's.

Very pleased with them. Excellent from top to bottom.

·
Registered
538 Posts
well i had my dyns in my treated room with my buddies monitor audios side by side. in short look else where . im not sure if your looking for the pressurizing of the room or what is perceived loudness. the big paradighns rock out . the big revels rock out .i just run a good subwoofer with a sms1 so i can controll volume and house curve . now i can rock out and pressurize the room . i can tell you the dyns are deceiving i had a good 6 DB on the monitor audio's but the monitors sounded louder at least the spl meter showed the difference. running the sub makes a big difference. i know what your saying about the dyns because i feel the same way but i always ask myself when listening to other speakers what am i missing that the dyns would show.i think the perfect speaker would be the dyns sound with that little extra punch without loosing the reason the dyns sound so right in the first place

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ So true!

Now that I have lived with the mirage set up again for the week I have realized what they dont do. and that is so much more than expected from first re-hook up. I am craving the Dyn sound again and will be switching back this evening. I also now have a SMS-1 that still needs hooked up... I noticed the same thing with a spl meter. It does make one feel a slight lack of 'rock' but it is also nice having the sound on the other side of the room and not constantly in your face...

So, I the sms-1 will be good at tuning up some mid bass?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The SMS-1 is an excellent tool, but it only applies to the subwoofer. It is a tool to intagrate and equilize your sub, nothing to do with your speakers.

I know the sound of your components pretty well and I would suggest looking at Dali or the Salk SongTowers or maybe a pair of HT2's if you can swing it. While I have yet to hear a pair of Salks in person the universal positive reviews are incredible.

I run the Cinema 11 with the Cinema 5 amp and I have also auditioned the A51. I can tell you that Dali runs a Cinema 11 and a Cinema 5 for their demo at shows. The detail and accuracy of the Cary gear with the warmth of the Dali ribbon tweeter is an excellent combo, and yes I have put my money where my mouth is
I run the Helicons with my Cary gear. There are some sick deals on Dali speakers right now on Agon.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks rydenfan,

Yea, i know what the SMS-1 does, Im just hoping it can bring out some mid-bass in this ol' sub of mine...

Damn it! Thanks for the confirmation on the Dali's that's all I need right now is smething to lust after while the pocket book is thin

::switching back to the Dyn's and hooking up the sms-1 now::

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
I responded to this before, but it was apparently lost in the crash, so here it is again:

Have you tried the newer Mirages? They have improved, and no longer have even the slightest trace of "smeariness".

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Why not start with a sub upgrade and then see how you feel? I run the SVS PB-13 Ultra and it is amazing for both music and home theater. I am still in awe of how deep, clean, and articulate it is. I would think something from SVS or Epik would work great for you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went back to the Dyn's last night and was reminded how much I love them. I think I just needed a reminder of what I came from to what I have now. Really helped me appreciate the soundstage and imaging of these boys...

I believe and new sub should be first but I will be doing a home audition of some Dali 400's some time in the next coupla months probly...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts