AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im hoping to get some help, in building a home theater from progressive point of view. I ordered the Sammy DLP HLN 50 series Last weekend , and went over budget, so I am forced to go with a lower budget receiver and speaker combo. I am down to about $1,900 left for both. I thought about going with a Bose lifestyle system, for a more simple way out, but have heard nothing but negative comments. I stumbled across an offer by an official Mirage retailer for $1,400 that comes with a 6.1 Yamaha Receiver 90wattx6 and includes 5 mirage omnipolar sats and a 8in. 400watt peak Sub. I Cant afford the loud speakers which were about $500 each but could work up and replace the sats when I can afford it. Lemme know if I will regret this , or if I could do better...thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

IMO $1900 is plenty for a nice system. I would recommend spending around $500 for the receiver which will leave you with a nice chunk of change for speakers. A lot of people may tell you to go ahead and get the loud speakers now with a matching center channel and either scrounge up some speakers for the rears or just go with out until you can afford them. Honestly though, for anyone to be able to help you, dimensions/room size is needed. That will most importantly help with a recommendation for a sub as well. So I guess, forget everything I just typed and give us some more detail about the room and what it is that you are trying to accomplish so that we may give more informed advice/recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a listen to the Mirage sub/sat system last weekend and was very impressed for the money. Way better than Bose. Soundstage is very large for such small speakers and it helps that the centre matches the L/R.

I'm probably going to go for a system including the omni 60's at the front, the dedicated centre and omni FX at the rear, but if I was on a slightly tighter budget, the sats would still do nicely.

Which sub is in the system you're looking at? I think it was the LF150 I listened to and it was plenty big enough for the room (14 x 12.) I think there is another below it in the range but it was not recommended.

Can't comment on the receiver but I listened to it with a Marantz 7300 OSE which paired well.

Best of luck with your choice.

Peter

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

The room is 23deep by 15 wide with 3 walls, and the rear is semi open into a kitchen . The cieling is 8ft tall , with an open attick above. I was under the impression the Yamaha receiver is the best bang for the buck given the 7.1 starts at about $700 I should be fine with 6.1which is about a $500.

I am more of a Computer nut, so puting together a home theater is a bit more challenging. Also any reviews on the Samsung DVD for the DLP? Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can currently get really good prices on Harmon kardons. You could get the avr630 for under 700, and the avr430 for even less. That would leave you plenty for a good set of speakers. I would consider going with 5 speakers rather than 7. You could also skip the sub for now and add that when your budget allows, but you would be missing a lot in either music or HT mode. So I wouldn't suggest going without one for very long. You could make the call depending on when you think you might have more to spend. This is just a personal opinion, but I think it's easier to get good, inexpensive speakers than good, inexpensive subs. So choose your sub carefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.