AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an advertisement for a two way mirror to hang over a plasma tv. When the tv was off the only thing you saw was a mirror. When the tv is on the plasma tv looks as though it has a picture frame around it.

The one I saw was called a Piacenza Mirror.

Has anyone checked this out? Does using it reduce the picture quality? Does anyone know if other companies make or market a similar product?

I am intrigued over the concept as it would give the media room a more traditional look when the plasma is not in use.

Thanks

RJK

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
In the local Tweeter they have a similiar set-up, except they are using an LCD in a 2 way bathroom mirror. It looked very dark to my wife and eye, as if you were looking through slightly smoked glass to see the LCD.

You might want to call your local Tweeters and see if they have a set-up like the one I saw, it might give you a good idea of how well it works.

-Juice

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
Phillips announced their MiraVision Mirror TV at CES

the 23" model is $4000.00 MSRP: there are other sizes including a 30" version

CES article

·
Registered
645 Posts
Two way mirrors are tricky business, there are trade offs between reflectivity and transparency. Pilkington Glass was very helpful when I was spec'ing this application and provided me w/ glass samples so I could mock up the install. They also have a white paper that I found critical, that discusses the opposite application, viewing from behind a two-way mirror (think Law and Order). Its linked below.

jcmitch

http://www.pilkington.com/resources/ats125.pdf

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Would placing a transparent mirror (or any other clear two surface panel) in front of the TV run the risk of creating internal reflections?

Also, if done, would it encourage the user to give the brightness and contrast a boost? That's something plasmas don't really need.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Paul

Call or email Ray Vanabel at Encore Entertainment here in Sarasota.

They have a new mirror (tested over 400 different type of glass

and glass combinations). He works with almost every top interior designer

in Sarasota. He would happy to explain it to you. Each one is custom.

This is a new product just out the last few months.

941-906-8474 [email protected]

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.