AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pick this up today? It seems slightly short, but I highly suggest it, especially if you liked Braid.

It's similar to that game, only without all of the pretentiousness, and with a heavily stylized look to make it similar to old silent cartoons / movies.

There's 5 doors that I can see to regular worlds, and then another set of 5 doors with time-trial / challenge type levels. I'm already on the third world after only a couple hours, but it's still been very fun so far.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I'll definitely pick this up. I really like the style, even if the puzzle design seems a bit derivative.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just tried the Trial versions of this and Darwinia, seeing which one I'd want to buy. Looks like I might end up with both of them.

MPBW (long ass, funny name) has a great visual design, and I love the music. That alone almost warrants a buy from me, but it looks to be a fairly rigorous puzzler as well. And I agree that it has a very "Braid" like quality, which I think is quite high praise for any XBLA game.

I first saw this indie developer showing this game off a long time ago on the 1UP Show, glad to see it done and highly polished.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan /forum/post/18161412

Just tried the Trial versions of this and Darwinia, seeing which one I'd want to buy. Looks like I might end up with both of them.

I haven't tried the 360 Darwinia+ (Darwinia and Multiwinia in one package) and never played Multiwinia, but I loved Darwinia when it first came out on the PC a few years ago. You really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just beat the story mode, and while it is a short game I loved it the whole time. Only done a couple of the "Bonus Shorts" (time-trial modes) so far, but they seem interesting.

What I didn't know, that I just read in the credits and then had to Google the background story on, was that Jonathan Blow (of Braid fame) was an advisor to the original developer of this game.

Quote:
After developing what would become Winterbottom (it used to have dinosaurs) for about 6 months at USC, I saw Braid for the first time at GDC 2006. World 5 was similar to mechanics I was playing with, and because it was also a 2-D platformer and awesome, I actually stopped working on Winterbottom for about one year.

During this year I worked on other game projects but my wheels kept turning with ideas for Winterbottom. I decided to pursue Winterbottom as my thesis because I felt that although some of the mechanics may be similar, it actually would be a very different experience, and I just couldn't get these new ideas I wanted to try out of my head.

USC requires their Master's Students to have an external thesis advisor. My first thought obviously went to Jonathan Blow. I had seen him talk at previous GDC's, and knew he had very interesting and thought provoking things to say. Fortunately, the USC Network helped me as my professors knew him, and set me up with an email introduction. After going through the original GDD and early prototypes, he guided me on getting to the core of the experience I wanted to present.

We never talked much about actual mechanics or time tricks it was more about what I wanted the player to feel and ways to try to get them there. Jon is a very smart guy and I was lucky to even have a moment of his guidance.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/jo...s-of-p-b-wint/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.