AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of compiling a comparison between DirecTivo & UltimateTV. It's mostly gonna be based on my own playing around with them and bits and pieces from the forums, but I've got a few questions I can't answer. Can anyone help with these?
  1. Charges for secondary UltimateTVs: I've searched the forum and UltimateTVs site and "Nothing beyond the mirroring charge" seems to be the most popular answer but there are enough reports of other figures to make me wonder. Does anyone have a confirmed cost? And does anyone know what the charges are for internet access on a secondary UTV?
  2. UltimateTVs live buffer: I get a max of between 1:00 and 1:22 of buffer, regardless of what I had in "My Shows". I see reports that it can be longer and guesses that disk fragmentation has something to do with it. Has anyone found out for sure?
  3. Changes to UltimateTVs existing guide data: I'll guess UltimateTV gets them as soon as their available, just as Tivo does?
  4. UltimateTVs record to VCR: Is this UltimateTVs only automated use of the VCR? What, if any advantage this has over Tivos playback, especially since UTV can't even record a second show to disk while it's doing it? Is it just there to emulate the similar feature of regular DTV receivers?
  5. UltimateTVs searching. Strange things seem to happen with searches of 4 characters or less.
    • "business": finds titles with "business" in them. Ok...
    • "busin": finds nothing. Ok...
    • "busi": doesn't find "business", but finds titles with "Bus". ???
    • "bus": same results as "busi"
    • "min": finds "minority", "ministry", other titles containing words that start with "min", but doesn't find "60 minutes" and titles with "minus" in them.
    • "mine": Finds the same things as "min" including the ones that didn't start with "mine".
    • "minu": Finds nothing, not even "60 Minutes" or titles with "minus" in them.

    It looks like buggy behavior to me but I'm open to explanations for why it's not if anyone has one.[/list=a]

    Any help would be appreciated.


    [This message has been edited by DrStrange (edited 09-24-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange:
I'm in the process of compiling a comparison between DirecTivo & UltimateTV. It's mostly gonna be based on my own playing around with them and bits and pieces from the forums, but I've got a few questions I can't answer. Can anyone help with these?
  1. Charges for secondary UltimateTVs: I've searched the forum and UltimateTVs site and "Nothing beyond the mirroring charge" seems to be the most popular answer but there are enough reports of other figures to make me wonder. Does anyone have a confirmed cost? And does anyone know what the charges are for internet access on a secondary UTV?

  1. UTV has said that the UTV service is $9.95/month regardless of how many UTVs you have. There is the DirecTV $4.95/receiver charge. Internet access is priced at 14.95 and 29.95/month, again no limit on the # of UTVs... Someone with two will have to give you what the bill said, I only have one.

    Quote:
    1. UltimateTVs live buffer: I get a max of between 1:00 and 1:22 of buffer, regardless of what I had in "My Shows". I see reports that it can be longer and guesses that disk fragmentation has something to do with it. Has anyone found out for sure?

    1. it is *at least* 30 minutes, longer depending on the box. Note that this is the live buffer and not the 'paused' buffer. I've had a show 'paused' for a couple of hours in the past if I had the drive space...

      Quote:
      1. Changes to UltimateTVs existing guide data: I'll guess UltimateTV gets them as soon as their available, just as Tivo does?

      1. yes, guide data is updated when the DirecTV guide info changes, their is no 'external' guide that UTV calls [it doesn't even have to be plugged into a phone line]

        Quote:
        1. UltimateTVs record to VCR: Is this UltimateTVs only automated use of the VCR? What, if any advantage this has over Tivos playback, especially since UTV can't even record a second show to disk while it's doing it? Is it just there to emulate the similar feature of regular DTV receivers?

        1. I believe so, yes.

          Quote:
          1. UltimateTVs searching. Strange things seem to happen with searches of 4 characters or less.
            • "business": finds titles with "business" in them. Ok...
            • "busin": finds nothing. Ok...
            • "busi": doesn't find "business", but finds titles with "Bus". ???
            • "bus": same results as "busi"
            • "min": finds "minority", "ministry", other titles containing words that start with "min", but doesn't find "60 minutes" and titles with "minus" in them.
            • "mine": Finds the same things as "min" including the ones that didn't start with "mine".
            • "minu": Finds nothing, not even "60 Minutes" or titles with "minus" in them.
            It looks like buggy behavior to me but I'm open to explanations for why it's not if anyone has one.[/list=a]

            Any help would be appreciated.

          1. hmm, i'll try these out and see. kids are watching cartoons now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif



            ------------------

            Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'd nearly given up on getting any reply. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by pjenkins:

UTV has said that the UTV service is $9.95/month regardless of how many UTVs you have. There is the DirecTV $4.95/receiver charge.
I'd seen that that was the most popular answer but there were others, and if there was an authoritative answer from someone like UTVinsider I missed it. What CSRs say don't hold much water with me, whether they work for MS or Tivo. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
Internet access is priced at 14.95 and 29.95/month, again no limit on the # of UTVs... Someone with two will have to give you what the bill said, I only have one.
Well, $5 and $20 actually, according to UTVs pricing page but I assume your numbers included the cost of the UTV service.

Quote:
it is *at least* 30 minutes, longer depending on the box. Note that this is the live buffer and not the 'paused' buffer. I've had a show 'paused' for a couple of hours in the past if I had the drive space...
I've tried it by both definitions. The 1:22 figure was based on being told "no more pause time available" even if I let things play normally, then rewound to the beginning and tried to pause. But the number since went up to about 90 minutes after I left the UTV off for a night. Eight minutes isn't much but it might support the suggesting that UTV needs to be turned off periodically to do housekeeping.


I also rechecked the search oddities. "min" and "mine" do find "minus", but not 60 minutes. I'm sure I checked that twice before and it didn't find "minus" but either it changed or I misremembered. Also "minus" finds the same stuff "min" and "mine" did so 4 characters isn't the maximum required for weirdness after all. "minu" still doesn't find anything though.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top