AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just opened the Feb edition of the new D* mag. What I found interesting in it was the notation of some movies on Starz,Cinemax and TMC in HD notibly King Kong on Max and Narnia on Starz. Misprint or is D* about to spring a surprise on us? I vote misprint but I thought it would make interesting speculation.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew /forum/post/0

I talked to a CSR who said they would be in HD

While I have a hard time believing CSR's at D*, I would love for this to be true.

Maybe with ST gone, they will put these up in HD/MPEG 2 until the new birds are ready.....Even though ST doesn't free up a lot of bandwidth considering they shut off PPV and TNT to get them on.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
How many of us would add Starz, Cinemax or TMC to our programming package if they were available in HD? If so, DirecTV would be getting another $8-10 per package per month from us. If it wasn't for the availability of HD on HBO and Showtime I would probably have cancelled these packages long ago.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ST used the bandwith from PPV on Sundays so I not sure the bandwith is there. If this true I shudder at the potentially poor PQ. I want these channels as well but not with compromised PQ

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk 009 /forum/post/0

ST also required TNTHD to be blacked out on Sundays, as well as the Mix channels, and all the SD-PPV channels. So I'm not sure where the bandwidth would come to allow for StarzHD carriage

well, they'd have what.. up to 6 HD channels going on at once on sunday ticket? Maybe they can meet in the middle. Two new full time HD channels, tnthd active, and a few more PPV than was available during sunday ticket. I suppose it's all about what would be more profitable. I'm leaning towards the idea that two new premium hd channels might get more cash than a handful of ppv channels... I'd pay the extra money.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe /forum/post/0

well, they'd have what.. up to 6 HD channels going on at once on sunday ticket?

Actually, they have nine. Or at least the capacity for nine. For example, if there are 6 early games, there is a chance that all six run over the 4:00pm slot for 3 late games. So they need to be able to start the 4:00pm games even though the 1:00 pm games are still on.

So there is 4.5 transponders. The used to shut down most PPV before they started broadcasting games in HD, so the SD games are probably a wash, but even if you allocate 2.5 transponders back to SD PPV (30+ channels of SD), that leaves 1.5 transponders available. Add back TNT-HD and you are left with 1 transponder. That's good for 2 more HD channels.

However, once they add a couple of channels, they will be screwed come September if the new sats don't launch.

One possible solution would be to add channels in MPEG-4, but on the Ku birds. That way only those with H20/HR20's could receive them. They could possibly fit 3 channels on a transponder in MPEG-4. This would be no different that 3Q when the new channels are added only you won't need the new dish until then.

Then if the new sats don't launch, they could put ST-HD in MPEG-4 and require new equipment. But they probably don't want to annoy high-end customers by requiring them to get new equipment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is one more thought:

Kill off the DNS Service in HD and than you have room for 8 more channels.

While I and probably at a least a million others would hate this idea, D* is under no obligation to provide it to us. It would free up enough room for at least 8 more channels.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Moving the DNS channels would work for me after the Superbowl.

It would mean I couldn't Tivo my fav HD network shows until I replace my HR10-250. I have to upgrade one other mpeg2 receiver eventually as well. It'll happen no matter.

I, at least, have an H20 so I would still be able to watch HD DNS so long as they're made available in mpeg4. Actually they're already there aren't they?

Isn't King Kong going to be on HBOHD in February?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
They could at least drop the West coast DNS channels. If customers complain, give them a HD-DVR. Problem solved, and four more HD channels could be added.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In the movie description section, a red HD symbol appears just to the left of the title of films scheduled to be shown in HD. For example, on page L70, Henry & June, listed as showing only on Cinemax, has a red HD indicator. There are also scattered Starz and TMC films listed with the red HD symbol.

I remain skeptical. I think it's just a mistake in the newly launcned Access DirecTV magazine.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
They announced more then a year ago that they wanted to shut down the West Coast DNS but the delay in the HR20 delayed that plan.

Anyway, as soon as they add more HD movie channels like Starz I'll upgrade to the top package that day.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The timing would coincide with the new price schedule.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.