AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, this is my first post.  I have an elaborate Crestron driven home sound system and a home theater in my FR.  But I have been missing that MEMOREX EXPERIENCE very familiar to those of you of a certain age.  Sitting in the sweetspot between my Vandersteen 3's powered by Audible Illusions amplification.  I'm thinking of trying to recreate it.  I have a vast iTunes library accessible on my WiFi network.  Thinking about Sonos amps, a Velodyne DS10 and Polk LSiM bookshelf speakers.  Any advice/opinions?  It has been a long time since I indulged my primitive audiophile desires.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Welcome to AVS!!

"Was it live, or was it........"

If you're referring to the LSiM 703, while they're certainly no Vandersteen, they do make a "decent" musical speaker.

Depending on your location, if you go new, Polk has an in home trial period. Worst case, you're out shipping cost and you got to hear first hand the magic, or lack there of.

I hope you find your sweetspot once again. I too am planning down the road for a "nice" 2ch set up. I had been considering the 703's, looking at Totem's Forest Signatures. Ahhh, the hole is deep deep deep, careful not to stand too close to the edge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for this advice. Yes, it sure is a deep hole! I was initially contemplating $400 speakers and now I am already considering a $1,500 pair!!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I also had Vandersteen 3 and 3A speakers for over 20 years.

I am now in a smaller home where the 16-inch wide speakers were impractical.

When I first moved in, I had a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers for two years, which are very good. For $1300, I think you can't beat them.

I now have gone to the Vandersteen Treo speakers, which are a huge improvement over the old 3A speakers (but the newest 3A does use the newer drivers and are better than my old ones); sound to die for...lol.

If you are thinking in terms of bookshelf/monitor speakers, the Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 speakers are excellent, with an 8-inch bass driver and good bass extension for a bookshelf speaker. They are under $1000.

FYI, I am driving my Vandersteen Treos with an Audio Research LS-26 preamp and a Musical Fidelity M6PRX power amplifier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts