AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of us present during ReplayTV's inauguration may remember that originally the electronic guide was to be advertiser supported. There are built in facilities available to push advertising content. We experienced some of this during the first year of operation. Following the threatened withdrawal of a guide, you would think that using the advertiser model would now be a viable way of regaining profitability!

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time User /forum/post/20771157

Those of us present during ReplayTV's inauguration may remember that originally the electronic guide was to be advertiser supported. There are built in facilities available to push advertising content. We experienced some of this during the first year of operation. Following the threatened withdrawal of a guide, you would think that using the advertiser model would now be a viable way of regaining profitability!

I seem to have missed that. I do remember pause ads.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
TiVo still uses sponsor ads in the channel guide from time to time.... the users routinely complain about them on the TiVo forum.

TiVo is still actively signing new monthly and lifetime customers, releasing new products and introducing new services. TiVo is still current because it's products accept Cable Cards, SDV adapters, streaming, etc..

Replay ceased all R&D and even product manufacture years ago. It's pretty obvious that the company wants to cease it's business operations ASAP not pursue new business.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Definitely the biggest plus for me. I've had a Tivo S2 and now a Premiere, but I still prefer watching most shows on the Replay. Everytime a commercial comes on with the Tivo, it's beboop, beboop, beboop, beboop to skip. With the Replay, I hardly ever have to touch the remote after starting playback. Navigating long shows is also much simpler with direct access instead of FF, FF, FF wait and wait and wait on the Tivo. Show downloads and system backups are also simpler with the Replay. About the only things the Tivo does better is the smart season manager, todo list management and HD. Still, I'm hanging on to my Replays until either they catch on fire or there's nothing left for them to control.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplenty
Al true but the replay does have commercial skip.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
Definitely the biggest plus for me. I've had a Tivo S2 and now a Premiere, but I still prefer watching most shows on the Replay. Everytime a commercial comes on with the Tivo, it's beboop, beboop, beboop, beboop to skip. With the Replay, I hardly ever have to touch the remote after starting playback. Navigating long shows is also much simpler with direct access instead of FF, FF, FF wait and wait and wait on the Tivo. Show downloads and system backups are also simpler with the Replay. About the only things the Tivo does better is the smart season manager, todo list management and HD. Still, I'm hanging on to my Replays until either they catch on fire or there's nothing left for them to control.

KuoH
I had a TiVo once. It had an annoying feature. When you go from FF to play, it backs up some. That could be to simulate the sloppiness of a tape machine. I didn't like that easier, but at least THAT was unintended.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, I believe that was done on purpose. Since there is usually a delay before the user recognizes the commercials are over, the auto back skip was introduced so it didn't miss the beginning of the show when returning to play mode. Unfortunately, the new Premiere back skips so much, that it ends up playing the last couple of commercials unless I skip forward again.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd
I had a TiVo once. It had an annoying feature. When you go from FF to play, it backs up some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.