AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago, I noticed a $150 savings on the 240 at CC online, which brought it down to $400 (my threshold for a new receiver). I should have pulled the trigger on it. I go back to order it today and it's back to $500. I wasn't aware how quickly prices change on line. Anyways, now I'm back to the drawing board.

What would you get at the $400 level...it's going to be mostly for music (70% music/30% movies). The only components are TV, DVD & Digital Cable Box...not into gaming at all. I have a Pioneer Plasma if that information is needed. Also I haven't picked out speakers for it yet. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
 www.harmanaudio.com - hk235Z - $298.00...don't worry about it being refurb, 2 year warranty, been through QC twice :cool: .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! That's pretty sweet...now I'm eyeing the 335 for $400. Or maybe I'll get the 235 and step up a notch on the speakers. Thanks for the link. Someone else told me about a Marantz refurb site. What would be better for mostly music HK or Marantz?

·
Registered
28,804 Posts
You can still find the 240 online for less than $400 shipped. Check onecall, j&r or amazon.

The 235 for $298 is a better deal though. 240 only adds the iPod bridge with hasn't received good reviews yet. Other than that they're the same receiver but the 235 weighs 5 lbs more. I'd go for the older unit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The marantz refurb site is accessories4less (ac4l.com). I got my cd player from them and it is absolutely superb. I also got my HK 635 from harman audio; these factory warranted refurbs are a steal!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
J & R has the 240 for 376.00 including shipping, my sis ordered one 4 days ago and it got here to LA today! Not a Refurb brand new..... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the links. I can't believe I can get the HK 240 for less than $400 ($351 with free shipping), but now I'm looking at the refurbished Marantz (5500 for $400) too.

Which Marantz is closest to the HK240 in features and component inputs?

I'm leaning towards the Marantz now with all of the HK reliability issues & user un-friendlyness.

·
Registered
28,804 Posts
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Marantz now with all of the HK reliability issues & user un-friendlyness
Care to explain more about the "user unfriendliness"? I like the HK receivers because they are very customizable and flexible as well as good sounding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.