AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 4508's all connected to internet using broadband, and all connected directly to cable without using a box. All three are kept powered by two different UPSs.

Saturday night (12/7) I setup to record Trading Spaces from 7pm to 8 and separately setup another channel to record the next episode from 8 to 9. The 7pm show recorded. The 8pm show did not record. When I saw the red light out at 8:10pm I found its channel saying nothing scheduled to record. When I tried to reshedule, it said the channel (TLC) was no longer available. Then I tried to bring up the guide; I got a message: No guide information is available. 411 zones showed last connect at 7:57pm, just before the end of the last successful recording.

I used 243 zones to force a connection; this did not fix the problem--still no guide. I tried to do a manual recording, but no channels greater than 13 had a signal, like the machine did not know it was connected to cable anymore.

I went to Setup/Network and Input Settings, and it said "A cable or satellite service provider has changed or is no longer available." It then made me go through the whole setup drill like this was a new unit from the store. I had to reselect the providers for all the inputs, but it remembered my zip code from before and defaulted the correct provider for the coax input. The machine then contacted the server and all appeared OK. Guide was back, recording was possible.

Then I checked the other two 4508's. Same thing! No guide, had to go through the same drill on the other machines as well.

It appears that the problem is in the Replay server, since all three of my machines lost the guide info simultaneously. But what could have happened? Did anyone else have problems Saturday night?

This has me very concerned. I now feel that I cannot trust these machines to record unattended. I am about ready to return to VCRs. :confused:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Let me guess Time Warner Houston?

If so... I wouldn't worry much about it... kind of like a once-every-5-years fluke... headend name change.

Ok... sort of like you moved and didn't even know about it. : )

If that is indeed what happened, then just re-select the (new) provider (as you did) for each unit, redo the channels, and it really shouldn't happen again svery soon... if ever.

Lucky you caught it right away. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Son of a gun, I just noticed that a couple of hrs ago (on all of my 4516's). No more TWC and TWC (Rebuild), just one lineup now...

At least I'll still catch 2nd-part "Legacy" Supey tonight (kept missing its airing before)...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I see. There used to be 3 lineups for my zipcode, including one "rebuild" lineup. Now there is only one and it has a different name.

There were also numerous "obsolete channel" messages on the message page, telling me that a channel was dependent on a station that was no longer available.

Seems like there should be some advanced warning about this kind of thing. If this happened while I was on vacation I would have missed everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.