AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I turned on one of the two sattelite systems in my home eager to sit down and watch some HD content on my newly installed plasma display. I turned to ESPNHD (Channel 73) and much to my dismay found nothing there. So I switched to HDNET (Channel 79) and my dismay quickly turned to horror when that too was not there! :( How could be this be? A quick look at the guide revealed they did not even show up there, where did they go? At first I thought it had to be my new receiver (Samung HD settop box) so I reset the receiver and tried retuning the stations. Same results. All of my other HD stations are right there where they belong Discovery HD, CBS west, NBC west, but no ESPNHD or HDNET.

By this time panic & HD withdrawl are setting in, so I run downsatirs to the theater and fire that system up assuming the problem at this point is isolated to the bedroom, except I discover the same exact thing is happening downstairs as well. Directv tech support is no help what so ever, they are completly baffled as I am. Checked signal strength and tuned to their various test channels for the various birds, and everything is great (92-96's across the board) problem is these channels will not tune in on either system. I need help please, can somebody explain why these two stations are suddenly not available? Could it be a bad multiswitch on my dish, a bad LNB ? Why is this happening to me? :mad:

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Check your readings, again, and pay particular attention to Sat C transponders (8, 10, 12). The channels you've lost are on Sat C. Bet you can't get Universal HD, either.

If you have the older-style 3-lnb dish, check the connections and/or bypass the sat C combiner and see if those channels come back. Could be connections, the combiner or the Sat C LNB. I'd rule them out in that order. Sat C combiners are cheap and they fail with alarming regularity.

Check those things and let us know.

Doc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input DrDon I will check those things (although I'm reasonably sure I did already). God knows I've checked everything else. All of my signal strength readings from both birds are off the charts though which to me suggest that both LNB's are working just fine.

Directv has suggested that bad wire between the dish and the receivers is responsible for the problem, I'm not buying that excuse personally. I did climb up on the roof and check the connections at the multiswitch. Then went as far as moving the wires that feed the respective receivers to the other side of the switch to the two previously unused output jacks, but nothing changed.

My dish is a dual LNB eliptical dish, with the multiswitch bolted to the back of it.

I just purchased a cheap multiswtch off of ebay in hopes that that may provide the answer.

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Do you have TWO LNBs or THREE? If the middle slot on your ellipical dish is empty, I think we may have found your problem.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
yup for all the channels you should have THREE birds, Sat A 101, Sat B 119 and Sat C 110, so you need oval dish with 3 lnb's. you would need to add the Sat C lnb kit. the sat c lnb looks identical but is different frequency than the regular sat and b lnbs.

Call dtv and maybe they send you the sat c kit for free or even better they send an installer with a phase 3 dish and install for you. the newer phase 3 has the 3 lnb combined into one solid unit and the multiswitch is as built into the housing so you have 4 direct available outlets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all of your input on this but please understand something, the missing channels are stations that I USED to receive just fine for months. Then one day they just disappeared. I still get all of the remaining HD channels that I subscribe to, it's only these two that are missing. For the record my dish only has 2 LNB's, it's only ever had two since I first got it, and I've been receiving these two channels since day one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's your problem. D* changes the satelites for channels from time to time. That's why they tell you to have have all 3 lnb's for full HD capability. Call D* and get the Sat C kit. They will give it to you for free but you have to pay for the S&H. It's around $9.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.