AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing a new Pany 700 and hooking up my Cox cable DVR I noticed that I am missing a few HD channels. A repairman came out and determined that the cable within my house is of the old copper strand and replaced a section of it. Everything was fine and a few days later, I am missing a few DIFFERENT HD channels. Cold anyone tell me if a copper strand cable could cause you to miss just one or two of the HD channels? Seems strange to me. Cox also reloaded my converter box several times to no avail.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarrior /forum/post/12873976

After purchasing a new Pany 700 and hooking up my Cox cable DVR I noticed that I am missing a few HD channels. A repairman came out and determined that the cable within my house is of the old copper strand and replaced a section of it. Everything was fine and a few days later, I am missing a few DIFFERENT HD channels. Cold anyone tell me if a copper strand cable could cause you to miss just one or two of the HD channels? Seems strange to me. Cox also reloaded my converter box several times to no avail.

Yes, it could. Copper-braid cable is a tremendous source of ingress, which could adversely affect just a few channels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is absolutely possible and highly likely. Each of those channels is a different frequency traveling a separate path down the center conductor of that cable. As mentioned, ingress on poor quality cable will literally cherry pick frequencies (based on a phenomenon much more complex but not necessary to explain for this point) and you will lose the associated channels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts