AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem where the Guide is missing several days of data. Basically I have data from now till 5/4 and then 5/7 and a few days after that, but basically there is ZERO data in that the guide is completely blank between 5/4 and 5/7. Also I only the first of the Replay Zones shows as being populated.

This is on a RTV 4080 (that's about 1 month out of warranty :( )

Here's what I've tried for those of you who are about to suggest some different things:

Trial 1:

- 243 Zones -- Net Connect

This keeps resulting in spontaneous reboots while downloading the information or at times where it says that the service isn't available. Sometimes it just finishes abruptly (but doesn't appear that it is finished -- in that it just does it quickly).

Trial 2:

- Clear Guide Data, Clear Guide Data, Net Connect

Get the same net connect issues as in Trial 1 above

Trial 3:

Factory Reset

Got Guide data for the initial few days but then the problem reappears in that the data is again blank for a few days, it doesn't seem like it's populating the information. All subsequent Net Connects result in reboots as in Trial 1.

In addition, I'm now getting quite a few spontaneous reboots particularly when using DVArchive.

My thoughts:

Not sure which of the below option is the best route to go....

A - Should I open up the case and place a new HD with a clean image from MikeyBoy etc and see what happens?

B - Should I call SB Tech support, hoping to get someone from TX and plead my case for an RMA unit even though the warranty period is over?

Any help, thoughts or other options greatly appreciated!

Evan

----

updated the title given the really low traffic to my trivialized attempt to get help!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ok, try going into setup and changing your zip code to the next town over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forgot to mention trial 1.5 which was to change the zipcode, reboot and try a net connect... that didn't do anything either :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sigh...my showstopper just started acting up in a similar fashion.

I have Vonage phone service through my cable modem, and it has been working fine for 1 1/2 months with my ReplayTV. Now, all of a sudden, my guide is gone! Looking on the phone records, all calls placed to ReplayTV have been 1-2 mins with multiple retrys... previously they last 30+ minutes.

Now I cleared the guide, reset box, changed zip and even modem settings, nothing. I am able to connect to the server to get info about the channels/timezones/etc... but when I force a net-connect sometimes it comes up with "dialing..." and then hangs up without connecting. Sometimes it gets to "connecting..." and again hangs up...

I wonder if my modem is on its way out.. that would stink.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theedge
Sigh...my showstopper just started acting up in a similar fashion.

I have Vonage phone service through my cable modem, and it has been working fine for 1 1/2 months with my ReplayTV. Now, all of a sudden, my guide is gone! Looking on the phone records, all calls placed to ReplayTV have been 1-2 mins with multiple retrys... previously they last 30+ minutes.

Now I cleared the guide, reset box, changed zip and even modem settings, nothing. I am able to connect to the server to get info about the channels/timezones/etc... but when I force a net-connect sometimes it comes up with "dialing..." and then hangs up without connecting. Sometimes it gets to "connecting..." and again hangs up...

I wonder if my modem is on its way out.. that would stink.
If you used standard phone service lowering modem speed to 33.6 should correct it. Using Vonage I have no idea what is wrong, sorry. My gut feeling is the problem is not with the Showstopper modem.

EDIT- I didn't think of this earlier. You may be having trouble connecting to the local number. If when you change zip code the recorder dials in fine and downloads local numbers there is a secret local number work around. Email me if that's the case.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
If you used standard phone service lowering modem speed to 33.6 should correct it. Using Vonage I have no idea what is wrong, sorry. My gut feeling is the problem is not with the Showstopper modem.

EDIT- I didn't think of this earlier. You may be having trouble connecting to the local number. If when you change zip code the recorder dials in fine and downloads local numbers there is a secret local number work around. Email me if that's the case.
Actually, I have done this... I call a number in Tom's River, NJ and it worked a few times, downloaded the whole payload...but nightly calls do not go through anymore, only forced net connects.. and that is spotty at best. When I call the 800# to change call-in numbers.. that connects 9 out of 10 times without problem... This is aggrivating.. it was working fine... I need to take this to a normal line and see if it works okay there...

..if not, may be time for me to jump to the 5040... I so wanted to wait for an HDTV PVR tho. :(

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theedge
Actually, I have done this... I call a number in Tom's River, NJ and it worked a few times, downloaded the whole payload...but nightly calls do not go through anymore, only forced net connects.. and that is spotty at best. When I call the 800# to change call-in numbers.. that connects 9 out of 10 times without problem... This is aggrivating.. it was working fine... I need to take this to a normal line and see if it works okay there...
This sounds almost certainly like line noise. On a regular wired phone do you have any hums or crackling? Are you using wireless phone transmitters? Maybe the phone company is heavily muliplexing the lines in your area and killing bandwidth. try lowering the modem spd to 19.2 or 14.4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.