AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I have a DLP, so I know it's not actually pixels. But our local station's HD newscast (WRAL 5.1 Raleigh, NC) seems to have one camera angle that nearly always has 2-3 white dots where there should be color. It only happens on that channel and only on that show. I've not seen it on any other stations,movies,shows or the XBOX 360, which makes me wonder....is it possible that their camera has an issue? Anyone else ever encounter this?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I believe your 5.1 channel is a FOX channel which means it is being brodcast in 720p so your DLP is upscaling it to 1080p.

When you watch the show with the XBOX 360 are you watching it on the same DLP TV? If yes what resolution are you ouputting to the TV from the XBOX360?

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
WRAL is a CBS affiliate... so it's 1080i.

XBox doesn't have a "tuner". So, I think he's just relating that it doesn't have any issues.

Since we don't know the make/model of the TV, it could have a native resolution of 720P.

If the problem only presents itself on one channel, with one program... it's safe to assume it's a technical issue with the local broadcast and/or cameras.

Contact WRAL and speak with the station engineer. And... check into the Raleigh/Durham local thead on the forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=147473

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanic_xB /forum/post/19533095

Ok... so I have a DLP, so I know it's not actually pixels.

It is possible to have stuck elements in a digital micromirror display, although it's not something one usually needs to worry about. It wouldn't look quite the same as, say, dead pixels in an LCD, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanic_xB /forum/post/19533095

But our local station's HD newscast (WRAL 5.1 Raleigh, NC) seems to have one camera angle that nearly always has 2-3 white dots where there should be color. is it possible that their camera has an issue?

What you describe sounds like dead pixels in the camera. It's very difficult to get a perfect image sensor, so such things are always possible. Broadcast cameras usually have good concealment routines, though. Possibly this one is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
22,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Lunacy /forum/post/19535298

It is possible to have stuck elements in a digital micromirror display, although it's not something one usually needs to worry about. It wouldn't look quite the same as, say, dead pixels in an LCD, of course.

As alluded to earlier, if it only happens with one program, on one channel, it's probably not a problem with the TV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Lunacy /forum/post/19535298

What you describe sounds like dead pixels in the camera. It's very difficult to get a perfect image sensor, so such things are always possible. Broadcast cameras usually have good concealment routines, though. Possibly this one is malfunctioning.

Sounds like the issue exactly. I was kinda hoping that it wasn't the tv. By the way, it's a Mitsubishi WD-65737 (09 model). I wish they'd fix that camera. It gets annoying seeing those couple of white dots just sitting there. But thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanic_xB /forum/post/19535435

Sounds like the issue exactly. I was kinda hoping that it wasn't the tv. By the way, it's a Mitsubishi WD-65737 (09 model). I wish they'd fix that camera. It gets annoying seeing those couple of white dots just sitting there. But thanks everyone!

Email the station. Most stations like viewer's feedback. Don't be surprised if you get a thankful, "Not again. I thought I fixed that" response although more likely you'll get a "Sorry, we're working on it" response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.