AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Showstopper. On pre-programed shows, it gets some & not others, some time it changes to the right channel @ the right time but doesn't rec. Sometimes it goes to the wrong ch. @ the right time. Some times it rec. on the wrong channel.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Is this a new development? How's the SS work when you use the guide to change channels?

What's your setup? Cable in, set top box controlled with IR? If IR blaster method, how's the SS work when you are moving around in the guide and selecting shows to watch? Does the channel change happen ok when you are doing it?

If you're controlling a set top tuner, what is it, manufacturer and model and control method (ir or serial).

Lots more info needed. =)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Originally posted by Jeff D

Is this a new development? How's the SS work when you use the guide to change channels?

It's been happening a while, seems like it has gotten more frequent in the past months.

What's your setup? Cable in, set top box controlled with IR? If IR blaster method, how's the SS work when you are moving around in the guide and selecting shows to watch? Does the channel change happen ok when you are doing it?

If you're controlling a set top tuner, what is it, manufacturer and model and control method (ir or serial).

The SS is serial conn. to a Hughes Directv reciever , always has been. When changing channels manualy on the SS (which for DTV the SS uses the Hughes tuner & for off-air uses it's own) it works about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
So you are saying you have both Coax Cable connected to the RF input and Hughes reciver on the input controlled by serial connection.

The serial connection is very reliable unless it's one of the new receivers that uses the new serial command set. What model do you have?

Do you see the problem of the wrong channel more on the directv feed or the cable feed? Does either one work well? Maybe cable always works or fails? Or directv always works or fails? Or do both inputs fail?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The other thing about the wrong channel.... How are you choosing to record? Selecting a show from the guid and recording that way? Or are you trying to to the theme channel recording? If it's the theme channel recording this might make sense if you haven't pruned your channel listing.

For example the replayTV guide has both listings for local channels, old receivers have locals in the 800-999 range, the newer receivers map the locals to the local numbers, 2-150. The replay guide has both by default. If you didn't remove the channels that don't work you could see the following problem.

Set up theme to record "friends", friends airing on Thursday night on both local Channel 11, the directv receiver either has that channel on 11 or 889. If my receiver is old it will only tune 889 if the receiver is new it will record on 11. The replay scanning the guide will encounter channel 11 first and attempt to record from channel 11 if I haven't removed it from my channel listing. Recording the wrong channel will get me nothing.

Did that make sense?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only inputs to the SS are directy (old Hughes reciever, like 6 years) via audio/video & coax ,roof ant.

All these problems are from themed channels. I don't have any redundant channels in the Hughes channel list.

Several times when the SS was set to record a show on 209, it went to 100 & sometimes recs, sometimes not.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
So the replay info shows Show XYZ recorded channel 209 and when you play the recording you see the receiver tune to channel 100? Serial connection, can you 2x check this? There was a problem about 2 months ago where my serial connection stopped and IR blasters did too. The way I got it working was to go into the configuration and select some bogus IR blaster configuration, save those settings. Go back into the input configuration and switch back to serial control.

That may help the channel changing. The cable could have gone bad. The other option... if you are tech.... Hook the serial cable coming out of the replay to a PC and use HyperTerm to capture the serial input coming in over your serial port as you attempt to manually change a channel. Save this to a file and send it to me.

I thought you stated that your manual changing of channels works ok (this is very odd).

On to the recording... Themes are the lowest priority recording, so the often get bumped for conflicts, space, or who knows what.

Many folks suggest getting away from the themes. Do you have the same bad results on the shows selected to record from the guide?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.