AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was tooling around in the dashboard and noticed something that doesn't make sense. The Elite supposedly has a 120GB hard drive. It says I have 86GB free, but there are only about 22GB accounted for in the memory section of the dashboard. Anyone know what is going on with the remaining 12GB? I know the emulation software takes up some space, but 12GB of unusable space seems like a little much.

FWIW, I am previewing the upcoming dashboard update.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There are 120 billion bytes on the hard drive (plus or minus, but probably plus).

That is 111.76 binary-addressable Gigabytes. That's the way all computers really count space. A binary Kilobyte is 1024 bytes (2^10), not 1000. Hard drives are often classified by the number of bytes they actually contain. It's not a lie, as it clearly states on just about every package how they define a gigabyte. With memory, however, it is always classified in the number of binary-addressable KB/MB/GB. this difference just becomes more pronounced as storage grows. The IEEE has actually recommended that the term "Gigabyte" refer to 1 Billion while "Giga-Binary-Byte" or "Gibibyte" should refer to capacity in a binary sense.

Many operating systems will give you both amounts. I know Windows will tell you how many binary gigabytes as well as how many bytes are used when reporting the size of just about anything. Dumping the whole "binary" thing is really impossible as it would require a computer to stop using 1's and 0's and start using a base-10 system. That's not happing.

The space you added up is 108-109GB depending on rounding. Having a reserved area for the OS and a virtual memory area probably adds up the other ~3GB or so. I'd imagine some is reserved for the beta dashboard too (or any other beta thing).

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
nope.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
107gb is what you should have on a new/formatted drive. This is explained on the packaging and paperwork.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
We Now Return You to Your Regularly Scheduled Program

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.