AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my Panny PT-AX100 vertically stretches the 2.35 letterboxed anamorphic image before it enters my Panamorph U85 lens, after which the bars are eliminated on my 2.35 native screen, the subtitles that sometimes appears on the bottom black bar are also eliminated. This is problematic when watching foreign films. Shawn Kelly @ Panamorph does not currently have a solution as to how to retrieve same. Has anyone else encountered this problem and can offer any insight ? Depending on the disc (studio), the portion of the subtitles that do appear on the actual image area usually remain intact. This scenario appears on both HD and SD discs (as played via my Toshiba HDA2).

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Ideally the subtitles should be left where they were for the cinema release of the film - IE in the active picture area, but as you have encountered, some studios decide to re-do the subtitles in bolder letters and place the word into the masking.

I have a Samsung HD 950 and it has a feature called EZView. The benefit here is that it shift the title up as well as vertically stretching the image, making it perfect for entry level CIH...

I have added additional photos to by blog by clicking on the CIH Explained link in my signature...

Mark

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark for your input. Unfortunately, the Samsung is only an upconverting player and I hope the 'EZView' feature ( or its equivalent ) shows up in future HD players. By the way, very impressive blog & I salute you on your ingenuity and innovation. Matt from Canada.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/0

Thanks Mark for your input. Unfortunately, the Samsung is only an upconverting player and I hope the 'EZView' feature ( or its equivalent ) shows up in future HD players. By the way, very impressive blog & I salute you on your ingenuity and innovation. Matt from Canada.

Thanks Matt,

I didn't see that key on the Samsung BrD player, but do hope they see fit to continue it use for their products, and that other manufactures follow this example...

Mark

·
Registered
29,545 Posts
I brought up the issue of 2.35:1 subtitles within the "Insiders" thread in the HDTV Software Media forum and parties from both the HD DVD and Blu-ray camps said that they would investigate the possibilities of authoring discs with moveable subtitles. I don't know if anything will come of it, but at least they've been made aware.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
So far the few HD DVD titles I have seen have all been 'scope" and have all had the subtitles in the active picture area...

Mark

·
Registered
29,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

So far the few HD DVD titles I have seen have all been 'scope" and have all had the subtitles in the active picture area...

House of Flying Daggers and Kung Fu Hustle have subs in the lower letterbox bar, for example.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Cool images klemsaba

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.