AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all,  I've had my eye on a pair of mission 780 Argonaut speakers, owned by a neighbor and wasn't planning on making a move on them until later however he is having a yard sale on Friday and has given me first dibs.  Now both of the textile tweeters are are pushed in and they are a bit dusty, however the woofers are in good condition(when plugged in still sound pretty good).  After doing some research I've found that others with similar problems have used the Vifa textile tweeter from madisound  as a replacement and I just wanted to know if the $70 he is asking for is an acceptable price given their condition as described as I'm not very familiar with the Mission brand(stands not included).  Thanks!

Here is a link to the tweeter:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/horn-tweeters/vifa-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If the tweeter dust caps are dented but the speakers still work properly, use them as they are. Changing to anoher tweeter is not a good plan unless you intend to design a new crossover network. If the tweeters do not work properly, don't buy the speakers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was lead to believe from earlier Q&A that a dented tweeter is a useless tweeter, or will sound so different from the original as to be worthless.  Now this may have been a bit of embellishment from the user that posted it, however I have never bought or used speakers with dented caps so until now I took his word for it.  I just don;t want to suckered into buying something that sounds nothing like it is supposed to.  thanks for the reply and any other comments would be appreciated.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22  /t/1523051/mission-780-argonaut-speakers-worth-with-pushed-in-tweeters#post_24499367

I was lead to believe from earlier Q&A that a dented tweeter is a useless tweeter, or will sound so different from the original as to be worthless.
It won't sound like an undented tweeter, but it won't be worthless. Most listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they couldn't see that it's dented. By the same token most listeners who knew that it was dented would be positive that they did sound different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

the old six of one, half dozen of the other....might just take a chance on them and check with the manufacturer as to whether or not they still carry those tweeters.  However I doubt that Mission copies the Bose directive of reusing speaker parts for years. Think I read a post that they do carry a decent supply of vintage parts but that post was about 3 years old so will see.  Thanks again for the comments!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts