Ralph Potts reviews the fourth installment in the popular Mission Impossible film series which is making its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg, Josh Holloway, Michael Nyqvist, Vladimir Mashkov, Anil Kapoor, Lea Seydoux
Directed by: Brad Bird
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Josh Applebaum & Andre Nemec
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 26, 2018
"No plan. No backup. No choice"
My Take:

I reviewed Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol’s 2011 Blu-ray release, and have included my comments from that review here. Ratings for film, bonus content and audio will be the same, as they are identical to that release. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video are below.

Blamed for the terrorist bombing of the Kremlin, IMF operative Ethan Hunt is disavowed along with the rest of the agency when the President initiates “Ghost Protocol.” Left without any resources or backup, Ethan must find a way to clear his agency’s name while hunting down the mysterious “Cobalt” the man believed to be behind the bombing as well as the orchestrator of a plot to start a nuclear war. To complicate matters further, Ethan is forced to embark on this mission with a team of fellow IMF agents he does not fully know. The mission has never been more real, more dangerous, or more impossible.

As a film lover I enjoy a variety of movies. I get satisfaction out of classic cinema, romance, comedy, drama and the like. I must admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for action thrillers. Sitting back and getting lost in a sci-fi action/spy piece like Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol is right up my alley and, makes for an entertaining bit of escapism. I own the first three installments in the Mission Impossible series on home video. I didn’t bother getting the first two on Blu-ray but picked up MI3 in Blu when it was originally released. I enjoy them all but going into this review my favorite in the series was MI3 with Mission Impossible a close second. Whether you like Tom Cruise or not there is no denying his status as a drawing power at the box office. I tend to like his films and would consider myself a fan.

I didn’t get out to the theater to see this one but, my son did and he recommended it highly. Well he was right. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost Protocol. It adheres to the same formula that makes the other films in the series fun to watch. The plot is straight forward and follows Ethan Hunt and his team as they track down “Cobalt” a terrorist that represents a significant global threat. There is plenty of action, cool gadgets and slick/stylish production elements to go along with a decent screenplay and a snappy pace as dictated by director Brad Bird. Along with Tom Cruise (who does many of his own stunts by the way) I found the cast, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg and Josh Holloway (wish he had a bigger role) that portray the new IMF Team to be right on the money. Pegg returns from MI3, now as a field agent, and adds some complimentary comic relief that isn’t silly or overplayed.

It would be safe to say that I like Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol as much as any big budget action flick. It’s edgy, fun and contains a couple of defining set pieces that genre fans are sure to appreciate. I am thrilled to own it on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Read on to see what kind of job Paramount did with its transfer to the new format.

Replay Value:
Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of intense action and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution: 
  • Visual Impact: 

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 100

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution: 
  • Visual Impact: 

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: 
  • Low frequency effects: 
  • Surround Sound presentation: 
  • Clarity/Detail: 
  • Dialog Reproduction: 

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol was finished on a 4K DI.

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol is a contemporary action thriller that is boldly colorful throughout, and this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. Right from the opening shot overlooking Budpest it’s obvious that this presentation is going to be special. With an appreciable increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears sharper and vivid when compared to the 1080p version. Primary and secondary colors are beautifully rich, while whites appear gradational and vibrant. When brought together, the combination of rich color, sepia, and gradational gray tones literally pop off of the screen. Take your pick, the sequences at the Kremlin, Dubai, or Mumbai look outstanding, delivering the goods with eye catching goodness that put a smile on my face.

I also enjoyed the presentation’s implementation of HDR. This film contains a host of brightly lit interior/exterior and low-level interior/exterior sequences. The cinematography makes frequent use of shadows, cascading/streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used very well drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. The added dimension in blacks, and shadows as well as the detail rich specular highlights are immediately noticeable.

The film has a variety of sequences that make use of close up camera angles that show off the superb rendering of detail. At times the level of minutia is outstanding, as even the finest nuance in the physical features, clothing and interior sets is resolvable. The film’s exterior shots have superb depth which adds an enriching aesthetic to them. Frankly, this one caught me by surprise. I expected a solid offering but, this is a terrific Ultra HD presentation that is among the best catalog releases that have come to the format. I hope we see more like it!

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR-10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference Oppo UHD player (both in DV and forced HDR-10 and Samsung UHD player (HDR-10 only). The title looked outstanding on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I felt that the DV presentation offered slightly richer color rendition and better handling of the finest details in shadows. You can’t go wrong with either but, my preference for viewing would be the Dolby Vision version.

Like the video quality the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an engaging surround mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects traverse the room during the large set pieces. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already strong dynamics.

The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The bombing of the Kremlin, the two car crashes, and the sandstorm are great examples. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy. Dialog has definitive presence, with refining vocal character and excellent room penetration. Kudos to Paramount on this reference quality audio/video presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show off their home theater systems

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:

• Bonus Features:
    • Disc 1: Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Ultra HD Blu-ray
    • Disc 2: Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Blu-ray
    • Disc 3: Legacy Bonus Features (Blu-ray)
    • Digital Copy
    Final Thoughts:

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol is the fourth installment in the popular film series that stars Tom Cruise as IMF Agent Ethan Hunt. As a fan I looked forward to seeing it and am happy to report that it’s an excellent addition not only to the franchise but the genre as well. It’s edgy, fun and contains a couple of defining set pieces that enhance the thrill factor quite nicely. Speaking of thrilling, its debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution features dazzling, reference quality Ultra HD Blu-ray, the same rip roaring 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD lossless surround sound found on the previous Blu-ray release, and, legacy bonus supplements that look behind the scenes at the making of the film. I had a great time revisiting Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol on Ultra HD Blu-ray and highly recommend it for fans. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
    AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:
    JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
    (Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from  Spectracal )
    Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
    Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
    Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
    Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
    Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
    Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
    Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
    System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
    Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
    SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
    Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
    Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
    Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
    AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems