AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30,896 Posts
Sad loss. Grew up watching him on 'Mission Impossible' (and his brother, James Arness, on 'Gunsmoke'). Glad he risked doing comedy with the 'Airplane' movies. Married (to his college sweetheart) since 1950! Remarkable, especially in Hollywood.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Funny......if you weren't particularly a fan of "Gunsmoke" (like I never was), then he always seemed to be much more successful and prominent than his brother ever was.

He wasn't flamboyant or full of himself, and that's what I always liked about him. Seemed like a genuinely nice and regular enough kind of guy. Must've been his Midwestern roots I was picking up on.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/18312760

Grew up watching him on 'Mission Impossible' (and his brother, James Arness, on 'Gunsmoke').

Didn't know the 2 were related until today....

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Always seemed truly classy. RIP.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18313256

Didn't know the 2 were related until today....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/18313458

I had no idea they were brothers, also. RIP.

larry

What? Next you'll tell us you didn't know Joanie Loves Chachi. Seriously, Peter Graves is just as famous for being James Arness's brother as he is for his acting. You have to have been on dialysis in a cave to not know that. Hmmm...

·
Registered
30,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/18312927

He just picked up his Hollywood Star in Oct of 2009.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/j9zk6...p/Joan+Endress

Nice pics at that link; he and his wife looked awfully happy that day. Glad he was able to enjoy getting his Star while still alive (talk about good timing) instead of posthumously, as so often happens.

Interesting tid-bit about him and his brother [James Arness], from the link provided in the first post: "Born Peter Aurness, Graves adopted his grandfather's last name to avoid confusion with his older brother, who had dropped the "U" from the family name."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts