AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I my continued love for the things talked about within this forum I would like to ask a question. I don't ever hear of Mission speakers mentioned here. Are they still considered by any "good speakers" Why do you not hear mention of them? I bought a set of Mission bookshelves about 7 or 8 years ago that I absolutely loved! I think Mission used to be teamed up in some way with Denon...I would think that alone would make them a contender.....Just wondering. Also same goes for Wharfdale...don't ever hear of them. Not important (I am very happy with what I have) but I just love sound...or speakers in general.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Quote:
I think Mission used to be teamed up in some way with Denon...I would think that alone would make them a contender
Denon USA was at one time, or still might be, the importer of Mission speakers for North America. They have nothing to do with how they sound. For whatever that's worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
point-and-shoot,


Whilst I know nothing about North American arrangements for manufacturing or marketing Mission Speakers, the parent company is British and as with many other HiFi brands, the company history can be complex.


They are still going strong. I have and love Mission's and the retailer I purchased them off in Oz has advised customers that Mission has very recently been purchased by IAG (International Audio Group). IAG is fairly big and apparently runs Quad and Wharfedale successfully. It appears that at least in this part of the world, the current distribution arrangements will remain in place with current models continuing. I have no clue on arrangements in your part of the world. It also appears that IAG have also bought the Mission name from Farad Azima's NXT corporation, thus resolving a marketing complexity that has existed for some time.


Hope this is of interest and, I trust, accurate. As a very satisfied Mission owner, It appears good news to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
well i still own and using the mission 770, the first polyproplene mid/bass cone with seas tweeter


the 2 tweeters have been replaced twice due to leakage of ferro fluid but the mid/bass units still going strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is good to see that Mission is still going to be around a while. As I stated earlier I picked up a pair off of ebay around 6-7 years ago to use as rears. They were very tight and crisp. The sound they produced reminded me alot of Klipsch. These don't have horn tweeters but they sounded similar to me anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
The new Mission Diamond 9.1 compact speakers are highly touted by British Hi-Fi mags (one considers them the best of the entry-level monitors).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Point_and_shoot,


What model were they and do you still have them?


In a similar manner, I am currently looking at perhaps the M31i or M32i as rears for an extension of my system to 7.1 though secondhand M71 or M72's would also match perfectly. I agree with your description of 'tight and crisp' as a broad generalisation and whilst very happy with what I have, I do enjoy 'reviewing' all manner of other speakers and HiFi components. Sometimes this validates what I have and sometimes it adds to the dream sheet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpm
Point_and_shoot,


What model were they and do you still have them?


In a similar manner, I am currently looking at perhaps the M31i or M32i as rears for an extension of my system to 7.1 though secondhand M71 or M72's would also match perfectly. I agree with your description of 'tight and crisp' as a broad generalisation and whilst very happy with what I have, I do enjoy 'reviewing' all manner of other speakers and HiFi components. Sometimes this validates what I have and sometimes it adds to the dream sheet.
Unfortunately all I can remember about them is that they were black, they were bookshelf, the woofers/drivers were white, and I picked them up off of ebay new for around $100.00 (pair). Other than that I can't tell you much. I can tell you however that I wish I had kept them instead of buying what I thought then was the pinnacle, Definitive Technology. How we grow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,482 Posts
Yea keep in mind that this forum is a bit inbred, and doesnt talk about alot of brands.


Just because its not mentioned on this forum, means almost nothing :D


I know a Mission seller here in LA, I havent actually heard them though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I had some great little Missions (can't remember model) that had the plasiflex woofs and tweets. From what I remember, they sounded very good. In fact, they replaced my Klipsch Fortes . . . needed to downsize (years ago).


My ex has 'em now. Maybe she would like to sell . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster
I had some great little Missions (can't remember model) that had the plasiflex woofs and tweets. From what I remember, they sounded very good. In fact, they replaced my Klipsch Fortes . . . needed to downsize (years ago).


My ex has 'em now. Maybe she would like to sell . . .
Well, I wasn't going to go there but ironically my ex-father-in-law has the ones that I had.....and I would never ask him to sell : ) I would buy a new pair first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by point_and_shoot
Well, I wasn't going to go there but ironically my ex-father-in-law has the ones that I had.....and I would never ask him to sell : ) I would buy a new pair first!
:p


. . . well I wouldn't need new ones right now; I have Ascends to hold me over!


But my ex doesn't know what she has . . . could be KLH for all she knows. :mad:


I was thinking of offering her a few 20's to get them back . . . just to have them to play around with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster
:p


. . . well I wouldn't need new ones right now; I have Ascends to hold me over!


But my ex doesn't know what she has . . . could be KLH for all she knows. :mad:


I was thinking of offering her a few 20's to get them back . . . just to have them to play around with.
Go for it. Good idea! My ex-father-in-law doesn't know what he has either but he is not stupid! The minute I made an offer he would think he had something great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Mission has had a number of false starts here in the States ever since Denon was no longer their US distributor (I believe they still handle Canada). Because of that, getting any sort of product on the shelves has been spotty at best. I'm listening to a pair of 780a Argonauts as I type this and they have been going strong for almost 20 years now. At the time, these were Mission's flagship speakers and still hold their own against my newer B&W's and Von Schweikerts.


Wharfedale had languished for quite a while until they were purchased by the Quad group. Since then, they have been pumping out new designs like there's no tomorrow. Their Diamond and Evo lines have won raves, especially from the Brit rags and AudioAdvisor moves quite a fair amount. My friend has a pair of Opus floorstanders with what looks like an ATC dome midrange and they sound terrific. If anything, Wharfedale is becoming more and more of presence after decades of neglect. Wharfedale is a classic name in sound and it's great to see them return to prominence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topspeed
My friend has a pair of Opus floorstanders with what looks like an ATC dome midrange and they sound terrific. If anything, Wharfedale is becoming more and more of presence after decades of neglect. Wharfedale is a classic name in sound and it's great to see them return to prominence.
I have the Opus 2. I absolutely love them.


Wharfedale makes all of their own drivers, including the 3 inch Dome Midrange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboon
Try an authorized dealer. Might be a better choice to compare first, and have a warranty later. :)


THey are authorized!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,110 Posts
My bedroom system has 773s along with a 771 up front and a pair of 77ds's in the rear, these were based on the Audax Aerogell drivers. Sound and look great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I have a pair of Mission speakers - M33i - floorstanding. They are great sounding and I couldn't be happier with them. The supply of Mission over here in Canada don't seem to be a problem.


KMB
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top