AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I make a big mistake with stapling this vapor barrier on the inside or does it matter since the wall has an open area behind it? I know now that I should staple it on the inside of my fiberglass insulation (that is just foam board behind the studs, have not put fiberglass insulation in yet). Should I rip the barrier out from what I've done so far?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Vapor barrier should go on the outside wall.

Your house will explode.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The plastic wrap should go on your outside wall to prevent moisture from spotting on your drywall. Condensation will form between your exterior wall and the insulation behind it this time of year.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netko350Z /forum/post/12963004

Your house will explode.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netko350Z /forum/post/12963004

Your house will explode.

explode?

is his introductory comcast rate about to go up ?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,137 Posts
I always read that the vapor barrier goes on the warm side of the insulation (facing the room).

Whatever you do make sure you only have one vapor barrier. Putting up insulation on top of that plastic that comes with a built in (the kraft barrier) vapor barrier creates a sealed space that can promote mold.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/12965602

I always read that the vapor barrier goes on the warm side of the insulation (facing the room).

Whatever you do make sure you only have one vapor barrier. Putting up insulation on top of that plastic that comes with a built in (the kraft barrier) vapor barrier creates a sealed space that can promote mold.

That's what I've always read and heard too. Holmes on Homes always puts his plastic barrier on the side facing the room, like the OP's pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As BIG said, vapor barrier should be used on the warm side of the insulation and it is intended to be as air-tight as possible. I would rip out what you have there and redo it just to avoid future pain after the walls go up. All of the seams in the barrier should be tuck taped (or sealed with whatever product is most used in your area) to isolate your room from the cold side of the vapor barrier. Your local home store should be able to point you to the right products.

The good news is that it will likely be considerably easier to go over the studs and insulation than it was to work the barrier in the way you have. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/12965602

That is what I meant in my reply but I can see how it looks confusing. Applied to the inside of the outside wall, facing the room interior.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the vapor barrier must go on the warm side of the wall. What it does is move the dew point to the inside of the house, not in the wall. That way the insulation will stay dry.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley /forum/post/12965743

That's what I've always read and heard too. Holmes on Homes always puts his plastic barrier on the side facing the room, like the OP's pictures.

Oops....when I looked at the OP's pictures, I thought he had the Plastic on the inside of the room because I saw the stryofoam insulation behind it. I agree, he should remove it, put in insulation, then plastic over that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unless I am missing something here, all I can see is rigid board insulation. If you spray-foam the cracks and create a proper seal, the rigid board insulation IS the vapour barrier. You do not need the plastic unless you have batt insulation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talented Amateur /forum/post/12966761

Unless I am missing something here, all I can see is rigid board insulation. If you spray-foam the cracks and create a proper seal, the rigid board insulation IS the vapour barrier. You do not need the plastic unless you have batt insulation.

Yeah the rigid board is behind the studs, I will tear down the little bit of vapor barrier I screwed up, add R-13 and apply the vapor barrier in the correct position. I'm just doing a combo of rigid board (R-10) with the R-13 batt to get better insulation since I've known so many people that say 3rd floors tend to be hotter than any other part of the house. Thanks everyone for guiding me in the right direction, it was pretty embarrasing to post my mistake

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Live and Learn, at least your house wont blow up now!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts