AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received some questions about my masking system after I showed my home theater in the thread " Show me your completed theater" . Maybe there are more people who want to see how I built it, so I will post building pictures and drawings here.

First of all.. a big thank you to Moggie, ScottJ and everyone else who already have shared their great masking systems. Thank you guys, I learned a lot from you!

I have presets for 8 different formats, and can also control each mask separately with the remote control.

A black frame around the picture really makes magic for the movie experience!

I used the KISS- technique, and the masking system is really quite simple and easy to build.

And now some pictures:

2.40:1

16:9 108"

4:3

16:9 146"

Here you can see the masking system in action (sorry about the poor video quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMC6st75AOo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And more pictures of the theater:

Skyline diffuser

Angled wall

More to come..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baffle wall with 1" insulation

Sand filled stage

Star ceiling

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23302587

Nice looking theater! Looking forward to more on that masking system

Thank you jason4vu for the nice comment and your interest in the masking system!

I made some drawings and I am just now translating them to English.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23302823

Wow!!, this theater room has BOSS written all over it. Really nice set up and the pics are awesome. Good Job buddy..

Thanks! I am glad you appreciate the HT!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, it is time to write a little about the masking system...

The Youtube-movie above has poor video quality but I hope it is possible to get an idea how fast the masks are moving. The masking system is more quiet in real life. The lower mask is bent a little forward but that is nothing I think of when watching movies, but maybe I will make it stiffer in the future. The masks are partly made of aluminium so they can`t bend upp- or downwards.

And now some overview drawings:

For simplicity I show U-channels in the pictures but in reality I am using H-channels. I will discuss that later.

The system is managed by a Somfy remote control that via Somfy RS485 4ILT interface controls the four motors.

When you are logged in you can enlarge the images by clicking on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a little paper model to get a feel for it in 3D and to make it easier to choose wich mask to be in front. I decided to have the vertical masks in front of the horizontal.

I bought some stuff to make the masking system. Some were unecessary but most things I used.

Reactions: howiee

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought some 50 mm aluminium pipes. I have read here somewhere that steel pipes will mess with the IR-signals and therefore should be avoided. I made two long pipes (3.5 meter) and two shorter pipes (2 meter). At one end of each pipe I made a litte cut. The motor has a corresponding ridge and the motor can be fixated to the pipe with that ridge.

At the other end of the motor I put one of the brown plastic cups. I drilled four holes through the aluminium pipe and put 4 screws that fixated the pipe to the motor. The motor is now secured in both ends.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23303001

pretty theater - really love the color palette

ps if your profile is a reference to the band then you're my new BFF.
loved them as a kid.
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback!

I am sorry to disappoint you but the signature is a reference to my name, but maybe we still can be friends?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23303005

Excellent theater! I too like the colors. I know this is supposed to be about masking, but what seats are those in the rear row?

Tim

Thanks Tim!

I gladly try to answer any questions you may have. The company that I bought the chairs from is no longer in business, but it is possible to order them here:
http://biograf-stole.dk/group.asp?group=2

or
http://www.avshop.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10507477;c:100238

I think the chairs are made in China so I guess it is possible to find them in USA as well.

Considering they are traditional chairs, they are really comfortable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The masks are moving in aluminium channels that looks like an H when you cut them off (I called them U-channels in the simplified drawings earlier). The H channel is better than the U channel because they are higher and can be fixated more firmly to the side of the board. And it is possible to fixate them to the board using the opposite side of the H channel (the side that the mask isn`t using).

I made the masks of U channels (this time it is really a u channel
) , boards and aluminium flat bars. The U channel makes it impossible for the mask to bend, but I had to make the u channel longer so I put two channels in a row and it is here the lower mask is bending a little towards the middle of the room. If I had used a 3.5 meter long u channel I think this would have been less of a problem.

For the mask to be more stable in the H channel and move more easily, I cut a plastic channel (like the one you can use around a movie poster) and glued it to the end of the aluminium flat bar.

Reactions: nandkisham

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Thanks MisterMR,

Those are the kind of details of the masking system that I was looking for. I think the 4 way masking system is truly the way to go for anyone who has the room height and width to make it happen. Why settle for CIH or CIW in which you are choosing to give up size in one of the formats. It is a far superior approach to buy a 2:1 ratio screen with a 4 way masking system to make whatever size and format you wish.

There is another resource I have looked through for anyone else interested in looking at another video. Search for Beemax video about diy masking.

Very well done. I will be scrutinizing this thread if I end up attempting to implement something like this in my theater in progress. And looking forward to as many details as you can manage to give us.

Thank you,

Grant

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23303564

Thanks MisterMR,

Those are the kind of details of the masking system that I was looking for. I think the 4 way masking system is truly the way to go for anyone who has the room height and width to make it happen. Why settle for CIH or CIW in which you are choosing to give up size in one of the formats. It is a far superior approach to buy a 2:1 ratio screen with a 4 way masking system to make whatever size and format you wish.

There is another resource I have looked through for anyone else interested in looking at another video. Search for Beemax video about diy masking.

Very well done. I will be scrutinizing this thread if I end up attempting to implement something like this in my theater in progress. And looking forward to as many details as you can manage to give us.

Thank you,

Grant
You`re welcome! I`m glad if you can find anything worth picking up.

And I agree with you. 4-way masking is the way to go. I use the horizontal masks as much as the verticals and choose screen size and position depending on mood, company, film and if there are people watching on both rows or just the front row.

I am planning to post more details about the masking system...

·
Registered
51 Posts
MisterMr

This is great stuff, what's the possibility of a seeing more details on the construction from start to finish to be able to follow it a bit closer including actual material used and where you bought them? Maybe even some pictures of the pieces installed if at all possible? I really like what you have done

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had no instructions to follow so I experimented to see if this would work at all.

In this picture you can see that I have put up tape to simulate the mask fabrics on the horizontal masks.

And I added the vertical masks and I was thrilled.

Yes, it looked like this could work. Very, very exciting...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman  /t/1472215/mistermrs-starry-night-c...asking-system-with-somfy-motors#post_23303756

MisterMr

This is great stuff, what's the possibility of a seeing more details on the construction from start to finish to be able to follow it a bit closer including actual material used and where you bought them? Maybe even some pictures of the pieces installed if at all possible? I really like what you have done
Thanks , MrPictureman! It was a lot of fun building the theater and I have some photos of the building process in my computer. When you talk about the construction from start, do you mean the whole theater or just the masking system? More information on the masking system will follow...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.