AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a four year old set and had the component inputs professionally calibrated a few years ago. Now that I have a Blu-Ray player I have to connect it with a DVI converter (my set has only a DVI input) and I am having a miserable time getting the calibration right with my HD Basics...

I always have thought this set looked much better via the component input versus the DVI input, but in this case I am limited.

Anyone else run into this and have any thoughts?

(yes, I am considering a professional calibration, but would prefer to not spend the money right now)...

thanks!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Your new player will output BDs over component at 1080i just fine. It won't upconvert SD DVD to 1080i over component, however. So if time or money for calibration of the DVI input are issues, using component is an option.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have experienced limited, to no, difference between component and DVI on the Mitsubishi RP CRT's that I have calibrated. You should be just fine using your component input. In addition, there is no need to upscale your standard def DVD's on this display.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
You can also use a simple HDMI/DVI cable with the Blu-ray player and set output to 1080i. I have a 65813 and use a Lumagen RadianceXD with an HDMI/DVI cable. I have also used a Lumagen HDQ with both DVI and RGBHV and didn't see any benefit using one over the other, other than with the DVI input, you get HDCP compliance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts