AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was a good screen shot to display Misty Evening's '3D like' qualities. Obviously, it's not 3D. This is lighting and depth of field. However, Misty brings this out much better than my white matte did. You be the judge. Comments welcome.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
CMRA

Are these untouched photos? or have they been manipulated someway in photoshop? The colors are just a bit over the top for me to think they haven't been manipulated in some way.

Also, you should show some pictures of Non Animation material. It really gives us a better understanding of what is going on.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take that as a compliment. I did have to resize the image to post, however. Other than that, what you see is what I got. ALso take into consideration my PJ settings and camera properties.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you recommend that I paint the Misty Evening on? BO cloth or Parkland plastics? What did you paint yours on to get this wonderful image you took the picture of on this thread?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That'll work. Mine is two coats of ME over two coats of Kilz 2 latex primer over doorskin. Roll away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry but I don't know what doorskin is, can you please explain? Also what kind of roller do you use? I think I might know what door skin is but how did you mount it? in order to keep it flat?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Doorskin is the thin press-board material that is used on interior doors. It's about 1/4" thick.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ron or CMRA-

Where do you get "doorskin"? Does it come in 4X8 sheets (or larger)? Is it similar to the Doable board people talk about? I am on the East coast and much of the materials mentioned, Doable/Parkland do not seem to make it out to our HD's. Any other tips for DIY? Am really having trouble justifying the cash the HCCV screen I had planned on looking at these images.

Jeff

·
Registered
832 Posts
CMRA has to give us something that's not Monsters Inc. I just happen to have that disk, but on my sample misty evening, with my settings, it seemed to lack the punch CMRA has gotten. I have a feeling his tastes run toward very vibrant colors, and his projector settings reflect that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Jeff, I did not use doorskin, but rather blackout fabric wrapped around a 1x4 frame. I'm sure you can pick-up the material at any Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
and you painted over the BO fabric with grey paint? Do you have more detailed instructions on how you made your screen? Does it have a black or velvet border? Did you put the BO cloth behind the frame or over it?

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
JP, I did paint over the Blackout with the Lowe's Valspar plank gray. I used a short nap roller and ran two coats. The result was excellent, no roller marks visible.

The frame is constructed with pine 1x4's bought at Home Depot. The 4 corners are cut at 45's and I placed a 1x4 down the center (vertically) for support. The blackout is wrapped around the fame to the backside where I used a staple gun to attach it. After it dried, I used flat black paint and painted a 1" border around for light spill. The black paint border works OK, but I recently bought some black felt I plan to use as the light spill border. It should work much better. Sorry though, I don't have any pics of the construction.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
After reading all the hype I went out and picked up a quart of the Misty Evening last night, along with the Rustoleum "Premium Metallic" silver. I painted on an extra piece of Parkland Plastic tried both against my regular parkland screen.

I was surprised to see that the misty evening is not really what I would call grey, but more like a light blue, teal-ish type color. I didn't get to do a thorough test or take screen shots yet, but I definitely didn't get the added colors as in the screenshot above. I know I didn't recalibrate, but I'm wondering what effect the blue tint is having on whites. I'll try some black & white movies tonight, maybe that will give more of an indication.

As far as the silver metallic, all I can say is holy hotspotting. I saw three different silver metallics made by rustoleum, and two or three different aluminums and nickels. The one I chose is definitely not the one you want to use!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I also tried one of those Rustoleum's (can't remember which) but other than the hot-spotting, the silver was too dark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I found some doorskin at HD, is it supposed to be kind of brown in color?

·
Registered
832 Posts
We need an eggshell finish aluminum acrylic latex paint!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes, a medium to dark brown, smooth on one side with a rougher texture on the other.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Am I the only one that looks at that image and immediately suspects it's being projected on a grey screen with a blue tint?

Let's see some flesh-tones on that screen!

C

·
Registered
832 Posts
Misty evening is definitely light gray with a slight bluish tint. A slight silver wash on top overdid the blue for me, but it was noticable even in the blacks. CMRA's screenshots seem to have really fantasic blacks, without any bluish cast to them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.